Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my CPU fried?

Last response: in CPUs
July 8, 2010 3:29:44 AM

So I built a computer about 1.5 months ago, and sometime last month I had a little mishap where I unplugged the fan attached to the motherboard while it was running and the computer has basically been down since ( I actually got it to restart once more but after shutting it off, that was it). I now get probably a quick amount of power that allows the fans to spin up and then after about a second its off again and won't power back on unless I unplug the power and wait about 20 min then try it again to yield the same situation. I have tried the basic troubleshooting such as removing memory to see if I get any beeps, but nothing, tried removing my video card, tried a new power supply, reset CMOS, reseated everything, checked connections and even got a replacement motherboard and still the same thing. It will not POST! I am very aggravated because even after thinking it was the motherboard and replacing it, I was let down. I have come to the conclusion that it is the CPU because that is the only thing I haven't tried to replace basically. Please, help me if you can, I would greatly appreciate it.

More about : cpu fried

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 4:47:19 AM

Well I had a similar issue, which was a dead motherboard. But you say you replaced it so I'd have to say yeah, fried the CPU. Have you checked the bottom side of it (pads or pins depending on CPU) for any black/burnt bits?
How did the fan get unplugged, anyway? That sucks :/ 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 5:38:11 AM

Unplug the fan that caused the problem, maybe the fan shorted.
Related resources

Best solution

July 8, 2010 9:19:59 AM

staro0989 said:
So I built a computer about 1.5 months ago, and sometime last month I had a little mishap where I unplugged the fan attached to the motherboard while it was running and the computer has basically been down since ( I actually got it to restart once more but after shutting it off, that was it). I now get probably a quick amount of power that allows the fans to spin up and then after about a second its off again and won't power back on unless I unplug the power and wait about 20 min then try it again to yield the same situation. I have tried the basic troubleshooting such as removing memory to see if I get any beeps, but nothing, tried removing my video card, tried a new power supply, reset CMOS, reseated everything, checked connections and even got a replacement motherboard and still the same thing. It will not POST! I am very aggravated because even after thinking it was the motherboard and replacing it, I was let down. I have come to the conclusion that it is the CPU because that is the only thing I haven't tried to replace basically. Please, help me if you can, I would greatly appreciate it.

how long did your computer run without the cpu fan unplug?
when you replace your motherboard, do you smell any funny odor? do you observe any burn marks? (near the cpu fan, near the 24pin, 8pin power connector)
have your tried removing your motherboard from the case and see if it will start(possibly something is causing a short circuit inside the case)
when you start your computer does the fan on your power supply spin? your cpu fan? the fan on your graphics card?
do you see a light turning on on your motherboard?

from my personal experience, when the first time i build my computer, i almost break the motherboard because i didn't use the proper screws so the motherboard is bent and stressed, the computer wont boot i only hear long beep sound then after a few seconds the computer will turn off.

after hours of diagnosing, i removed the motherboard from my case and then try if it will boot outside, then it boot!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 6:42:28 PM

You say you unplugged a fan but you leave us to assume it was the CPU fan and you don't say how long it was unplugged although it appears all that is academic at this point. If the CPU is fried from overheating it will be internally damaged so there won't be any burnt pins/pads. Maybe you can borrow a similar CPU for testing.
July 9, 2010 12:50:06 AM

Sorry I forgot to add which fan was unplugged, it was just a case fan that is attached to the motherboard. I will try powering the computer on with the motherboard out of case and see what happens.
July 9, 2010 2:53:43 AM

raclimja said:
try this solution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhCQmKAmEM

raclimja said:
how long did your computer run without the cpu fan unplug?
when you replace your motherboard, do you smell any funny odor? do you observe any burn marks? (near the cpu fan, near the 24pin, 8pin power connector)
have your tried removing your motherboard from the case and see if it will start(possibly something is causing a short circuit inside the case)
when you start your computer does the fan on your power supply spin? your cpu fan? the fan on your graphics card?
do you see a light turning on on your motherboard?

from my personal experience, when the first time i build my computer, i almost break the motherboard because i didn't use the proper screws so the motherboard is bent and stressed, the computer wont boot i only hear long beep sound then after a few seconds the computer will turn off.

after hours of diagnosing, i removed the motherboard from my case and then try if it will boot outside, then it boot!

Awesome guys, it fixed my problem! It turns out the screws holding in my motherboard were causing it to short for some odd reason. Now time to look for new screws, any ideas? I greatly appreciate it.
July 9, 2010 2:54:13 AM

Best answer selected by staro0989.
!