Core2 Duo has only 1 Core

RAOM

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello,
My System Information shows that my HP Pavilion dv6700t Special Edition CTO Notebook as per my order as HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC.And the stunning thing is that it shows that the CPU INTEL CORE2 DUO T9300 has only 1 CORE and 1 Logical Processor.The other CPU ID Utilities such as CPUID; Speccy also show the same i.e my Core 2 Duo has only 1 Core and 1 Logical Processor instead of 2 Cores and 2 Logical Processors. Can anyone help me why this happened and how to resolve the problem. HP Is of no help.They talk only warranty.Please help. Thanks in Advance

RAOM

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your reply. But I went to Intel site and checked the Specifications for Core2 Duo T9300 CPU. It says that the CPU C2D has 2Cores and 2 Threads(Which I think represents Logical Processors. I may be wrong).But I have another C2D CPU E8400 which is also without Hyper-Threading Technology. But the System information shows the CPU having 2 Cores and 2 Logical Processors. Some CPU ID Utilities such as CPUID and Speccy also show that my HP Notebook with C2D CPU has only1 Core and 1 Logical Processor whereas the same Utilities show my Desktop PC with C2D E8400 CPU having 2 Cores and 2 Logical Processors. So I think the problem is not with Hyper-Threading Technology. My doubt is that one of the cores might have damaged. This is only my guess. I am not at all a Technical Person. As for Technical qualifications I am Zero. Just I know the basics how to operate a PC. that’s all.
So I request all to help me
Thanking you once again.

endyen

Splendid
I suspect that you are seeing everything in a rest state.
Try going to power options, in control panel. Changing to desktop, and re-runnung the tests. The new laptops are very good at shutting down extra cores when they are not in use.

I found this mentioned several times.

Type msconfig into the Start search box. On the Boot tab go into the Advanced Options

Uncheck the box that only shows 1 processor and check "Detect HAL", reboot and recheck the processor box and your two processors should now show.

RAOM

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
:bounce: Mr WR2
Many many Many Infinite Thanks. My problem is solved.
I am searching for a solution to this problem for more than 3 months when I found this problem, after getting this system from my daughter as a gift more than 2 years. To be precise It is 2years 15 days. .I am asking the support people at HP.Daily or may be every 8 hours a new person comes and asks the same questions. And they say that the System is out of warranty. But never tried or offered to provide a solution. I think that either no one knows the solution to my problem or they want to empty my wallet. I don't know how this happened. I never went so far into msconfig except once that too only after finding this problem which was advised by an expert of Microsoft. But he didn't tell how to change. There was only one option in the processors tab, i.e 1, no other number. Mr R. Proffitt, Moderator at CNET Forums suggested that my OS might have tweaked. But no one except me operated this system upto now. So I am sure now this happened at the HP itself.But the people at HP are not at all helpful. More over my system has 2 product numbers, one in BIOS and the other one on the Service Tag underneath the Notebook. Every one at HP tell a different story for that.
Any way I got my problem solved by You Mr WR2. I am very greatful to you for your help. Now I am completely relieved of my mental tension.
With Regards
RAOM