Help me on adding more RAM and can I overclock the CPU?

Mahmoud Brk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Hey there, I have a kind of old system, but I'm hoping to upgrade it so I can play some games like Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare and such games

My system:
Mainboard : ASUS P5GC-MX
CPU: Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.6 Ghz
RAM: 512 MB DDR2 ( written on it 667 MHz but the CPU-Z software says its 333 MHz )
GPU: I'm willing to buy the 9500 GT 1 Gb ( is it compatible? )

A friend of mine gave me 1Gb DDR2 RAM card, after I removed the electric cable, and put the RAM card in the second slot of my mobo, the computer turned on but it didn't boot up, and the screen didn't receive any signal!

I know nothing when it comes to RAM :D so I'll post what I read on the new card and you'll help me if it's compatible or not

M2Y1G64TUBHBOB-3C
1Gb 2Rx8
PC2-5300U-555-12-E1

So please help me what's the problem
And another question, Is it possible to overclock my CPU on this mobo?
I've seen on the internet who overclocked the Celeron 420 to 2.2 Ghz
Thanks in advance

IMHO upgrading that old of a machine is not worth it. Better to save money and buy / build new.

You may be able to overclock some, but still won't be able to play modern games with any kind of deatil enabled. Buying the 9500 GT will help, but again you are buying old equipment to upgrade old equipment. The money is better spent on a new computer.

About the best thing you can do is take your 512 MB memory module out and install just your friends 1GB module. If it works you doubled your memory with no out of pocket costs.

Mahmoud Brk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I'm willing to buy an ASUS G53JW, and waiting for that machine I'm going for the options I mentioned
I've seen on youtube videos for some people playing CoD: MW2 on my CPU overclocked and on 2 Gb RAM and thats my specs.

I've tried to put my friends RAM alone and the PC didn't boot up!
My question is "is my mainboard compatible with the new RAM stick?
I don't know what
"M2Y1G64TUBHBOB-3C
1Gb 2Rx8
PC2-5300U-555-12-E1" means and if it fits on my mainboard?

No offense, but if you are willing to spend $1200+ USD on an Asus laptop then we probably shouldn't be talking about upgrading your Celeron...

Your computer takes unbuffered DDR2 memory, but THAT specific module obviously won't work. Your board will support up to two modules of DDR2 667 with a max of 4GB.

Did those videos on Youtube say at what level of graphic detail was enabled? It may be playable at a low detail setting...

Mahmoud Brk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Mmm, I'm not buying the Asus laptop in this moment! It will take some time

Oh this module won't work. How many Mhz does this module have? Tell me please which one of these would work for me [Excuse my lack of information]
*DDR-266/333/400
*Kingston DDR-400
*DDR2-533/667
*DDR2-800
*Kingston DDR2-533/667
*Kingston DDR2-800

The video I've watched is in Portuguese but after translating it says it's on max
it's an overclocked celeron 420 @ 2.4 Ghz and 2.5 Gb RAM and 9500 GT 512 Mb DDR2