Sign in with
Your question

Moved my xp hard drive to my new i3 pc-cannot reinstall xp on i3

Last response: in Windows XP
January 16, 2013 9:40:42 AM

Hello, i moved my old hard drive with xp on it to my new i3 pc-- i get a blue screen stop error when i want to run a repair installation
January 17, 2013 12:20:23 AM

Is your old hard drive IDE interface? If it is, you need to set the IDE compatibility mode in the BIOS:

1. Press DEL or F2 when booting up the computer right before the BIOS post appears on the screen.
2. In the BIOS; click on the Advanced/Drive Configuration and switch the setting from SATA/AHCI (default) to IDE Compatibility (IDE Mode, IDE Native, IDE Legacy)
3. Exit saving changes.

If the Hard Drive is SATA: either
a) press F6 when the Windows XP drivers are loading, and add the drivers to the installation from a removable media disk or USB pendrive. Or
b) Repair-Reinstall in IDE Mode and later from Windows XP install the SATA Drivers.
m
l
January 17, 2013 12:28:54 AM

dgn said:
Hello, i moved my old hard drive with xp on it to my new i3 pc-- i get a blue screen stop error when i want to run a repair installation

The blue screen should give you a STOP code. Will you post it here please?

@Chicano:
Unless he's using RAID, it isn't always necessary to load 3rd party drivers by using F6 except in some strange cases but since he isn't reinstalling anyway it should be ok.
m
l
!