CPU Heat Question - 4 Day Old Build

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hey all. I'm running a core i5-750 + hyper 212 along side a GTX 470.

Now, I got the system up and running 4 days ago, and the idle temperatures were around 25. I played around with some overclocking, but after I walked away to the bathroom during a prime95 test @ 3.8. I came back to a blank screen, unresponsive. After a reboot, 5 minutes into BF:BC2 I got a grey screen and stuttering. I immedietly shut it off and hopped into the BIOS to make sure it was all default, and it was. After that, I decided I no longer wanted to deal with OCing just from the scare. I have not gotten any more occurances like this since it happened (12 hours ago).

ANYWAYS. I have now noticed that RealTemp reports bouncing between 36 and 48º C IDLE while on day 1 it was running around 26º C IIRC.... [My motherboard onboard read out says average 33 while before was surely 26 before..]

What could be the cause? Did I zap the thermal paste a little bit? Or is this type of fluxuation normal?...

Is this temperature something to be worried about, or is it okay?..

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ok so the temps have significantly dropped because I had to manually force my vcore to 1.2

Idle is at 33, pretty solid, with internet browing no more than 40 at any time... Board is down to 29...

What is causing it to fluxuate so horrible on auto?

I fear I have already done damage during the last 12 hours that it has probably been occuring...