Which direction does the vapor x fan blow

mrhoshos96

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
hi i have a question i am going to buy a 5850 vapor-x and i want to ask does the fan blow air on the heatsink or does it exhaust it of the heatsink u r wondering y i am asking this well bec. i will buy the nzxt tempest evo case and i want to know wether to put the side fan to outake or intake
thanks in advance

Solution
On most GPUs the fan will be pulling air into the card to get good airflow onto the heatsink and I believe the vapor X model is the same. - Personally I do not like having the side fan on a case (I normally just leave the opening without a fan so air can be pulled in as needed by the fan on the GPU instead of either forcing air in or out disturbing the airflow within the case !) - If you have an extra place in the case that the fan can be used in instead of the side panel I'd try moving it there instead. (I always use the front and lower fans as intakes and the rear and upper fans as exhaust - that way the cool air is pulled into the case from the front and the warm air is exhausted through the rear with nothing in the middle effecting...
On most GPUs the fan will be pulling air into the card to get good airflow onto the heatsink and I believe the vapor X model is the same. - Personally I do not like having the side fan on a case (I normally just leave the opening without a fan so air can be pulled in as needed by the fan on the GPU instead of either forcing air in or out disturbing the airflow within the case !) - If you have an extra place in the case that the fan can be used in instead of the side panel I'd try moving it there instead. (I always use the front and lower fans as intakes and the rear and upper fans as exhaust - that way the cool air is pulled into the case from the front and the warm air is exhausted through the rear with nothing in the middle effecting the flow of the air.)

Solution

notty22

Distinguished
I believe the VaporX model is blowing air across the Heat sink, which is a big heat pipe version. The reference card pulls air in.
sapphire5850_toxic_length.jpg

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1238/1/

notty22

Distinguished
You can't fix anything until you know where your at. Install everything, get Everest and or hardware monitor and chart your temps. Its fun. Then you can make changes, with fan speeds, combinations and see what does what. I did this with mine , but I've yet to see how it works in the Summer.