Mirco ATX versus ATX when it comes to GPU fitment...

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
If I am building a HTPC that I may upgrade to a gaming machine later and want a better gpu, should I completely stay away from Micro ATX? I just don't want to have any problems in the future with a part like a GPU simply not fitting in with all the other components. I know its not the same thing, but I had a Dell with BTX mobo once before and that was a pain in the butt to find replacement parts for, and I just don't want to go through that again.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
The microATX form factor is completely acceptable for gaming use. It's got plenty of room for a graphics card. I've even seen people use miniITX motherboards for gaming rigs with no issues.

ATX is quite large nowadays. The average person would be perfectly fine using a microATX board.

kferin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
If I can throw my two cents in as well,

I've been researching micro ATX gaming rigs and performance rigs for the past two days and I'm actually really impressed with what I'm seeing. Just search around for "micro ATX gaming" and other searches similar to that... for example thermaltake I believe makes a case called the lanbox.. such small cases were intended for portable gaming. So maybe you'll be able to find some answers within that research.

The past few hours... (and yes I know it's 5:30 AM..in NY at least..) I think I've come to settle with the Thermaltake A30 microatx case.

http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1466&ID=1989

maybe you'd be interested in something like that?

either way, it can be done.

Check out Silverstone and In Win for HTPC micro atx cases too.

If you are talking motherboards, then the main difference is MicroATX boards usually have only one PCI-e X16 slot for a graphics card, whereas ATX can have as many as 4. If you are talking cases, then your concerns about fitment are justified. You have to be careful as some HTPC cases require a "low-Profile" graphics card, and a regular card will not fit.

Good Luck

kferin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Just to mention, as clarkjd said, if your concern is with the motherboard, I believe the p8p67-m and -m pro have two PCIe x16 slots. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, they both have 2 PCI-e X16 slots, but the second one only runs at X4 speed. Not very good for crossfire or SLI setups. :pfff:

kferin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
shame, i thought the specs said they ran at 8x/8x? I don't know much about the PCIe slots but I guess in this sense it would pay off to just get a really good single card, yeah?