Sign in with
Your question

CPU Heat pad/thermal pad (not paste)

Last response: in CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:28:08 PM

Hi

Does anybody want to know where I can order some of these. Whenever I put arctic silver down it works great. But when i remove the heatsink there is a bloody mess everywhere. Is there a problem with this? I'd like to use a pad instead as less mess....but only if excess arctic ice actually causes an issue.

It's a fiddlly job as im putting custom heatsink in place with the split plastics, so it rocks about making a mess...which a pad could prevent

Purely cosmetic

Also there are a couple of resistors on top of my chip die (atom)...guessing arctic is not conductive~!!!?
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:34:43 PM

No matter what paste or cooling compound you use, it will always be stuck on. But if you want it to be easier, make sure you don't overuse the thermal paste and try to apply as thin a layer as possible, which will make it cool better and it will make less of a mess.
a c 113 à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:35:13 PM

Continue using AS5, but apply just enough. The goal is to fill the voids between the HSF and the CPU. AS5 is slightly conductive, but one would have to apply way too much for it to spill. My preference is to coat the CPU with a very very thin coat of AS5. An old credit card works well to spread it evenly.
Related resources
July 8, 2010 1:39:18 PM

Ok I will try that. I need to clean the top of my CPU but it is one of these...so very awkard as some has spilled onto the surface mounted parts. Articlean?

Its embedded to the mobo so cant remove it, meaning cleaning is a challenge

Back to the original....can i buy the pads from anywehere?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:39:58 PM

Use mx-3 non conductive!!
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:40:25 PM

Articlean, haha, funny, just use rubbing alcohol as it will clean it just as efficiently. Why is that you ask? Because its the same danm thing with a high price tag!
July 8, 2010 1:46:52 PM

Hasn't had a negative impact on the chip, stills runs fine. It was running between 38 - 61 degrees. Now it doesnt go any higher than 46 under load playing COD WoW. Very impressed with this atom 330 ION board. Bolted 4gb RAM to it, 64Gb Western Digital Silicon Edge SSD and 500gb Samsung Spinpoint. Would readily say this PC does everything I need it to. People moan and say the atom is very much an entry level platform, only good for internet...but if you config correctly can get a decent (relative system) on the go. 512mb nvidia graphics, 2 core + HT...all in a mini itx. Plays games (not talking crysis here!). Def worth upgrading the cooling though!

thanks guys
July 8, 2010 1:51:51 PM

also replaced the heatsink on the NVIDIA ION. Want to load a pic and show but this forum only allows linking, not upload
July 8, 2010 2:12:20 PM

but back to original point...does anybody know where I could but some of the pads of I wanted to. also makes isntallation easier as it stick the heatsink down while you secure the fixings (which are those annoying plastics with the split ends)
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 2:26:55 PM

I dont think you can get them in pad form, only with a new heatsink, besides the pads always have an extreme amount of thermal paste which causes heat to be trapped and it becomes less effiecient. Do yourself a favor and buy a really cheap paste and learn how to apply little to none thermal paste for optimum results and less mess!
July 8, 2010 2:30:39 PM

Does everyone know what I mean about pad? Heatsinks come with a pad (which I promptyly discard) ... I am talking about the pad that is actually like a piece of very thin hard paste. You stick it on the die, then stick the heatsink on top. Imagine a piece of rolled out play dough, then cut to a 10mm x 10mm x 1mm shape. Use these isntead of paste.

Most northbridge are held on using them instead of paste...just want to buy one (or more)

???
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 2:32:01 PM

I know what you mean, pads aren't available on retail... They only come with new heatsinks (god knows why).
July 8, 2010 2:36:35 PM

Guess its easier for their production...cut it, apply it, then package the heatsink. Also makes it easier for those end users who cant use paste without making a bloody mess :whistle: 
July 8, 2010 5:36:52 PM

you can buy thermal pads on ebay, i've done it before; some sellers will be able to customize the exact size you want with whatever thickness if you contact them.
March 12, 2012 11:08:04 PM

I think the pads are intended to wear out. It is relatively easy to predict the MTBF on this material, much easier than the semiconductor. The pads are used in many laptops, and the companys act like they hadn't considered heat in a wafer-thin laptop with all of it's ventilation on the bottom, where it's easily smothered. How mad do people need to get in order to increase the life expectancy? Today's laptops are designed to drop dead in two years, or someone loses their job!
March 25, 2013 2:11:25 AM

lmartinefc said:
Hi

Does anybody want to know where I can order some of these. Whenever I put arctic silver down it works great. But when i remove the heatsink there is a bloody mess everywhere. Is there a problem with this? I'd like to use a pad instead as less mess....but only if excess arctic ice actually causes an issue.

It's a fiddlly job as im putting custom heatsink in place with the split plastics, so it rocks about making a mess...which a pad could prevent

Purely cosmetic

Also there are a couple of resistors on top of my chip die (atom)...guessing arctic is not conductive~!!!?

Hello,I am Jady from King Bali Technology Co., Ltd which is a professional thermal materials products factory.We can provide you good price and quality of thermal pads/thermal paste/thermal tape/pouring sealant etc.And our thermal materials products pass UL testing.

If you want to know about us,kindly to contact me,pls see below.

HUIZHOU KING BALI TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD

Factory Addr.: No. 197, Kwong Yu Road, Kowloon Village, Xiao Jin Town, Huicheng District, Huizhou City,Guangdong Province

Tel:+86 752 2295922 2295698 Fax:+86 752 2295800

Mobile:+8618688330138   Skype: hzliwung

Email:liwung05@hzliwang.com Website:www.kingbaili.com www.hzliwang.cn
May 10, 2013 1:13:33 PM

Looks like no one knows what thermal pad is.. iis not paste nor in liquid form.. . it is a pad. youcan buy it online, on ebay. here in the philippines it is more difficult to find it, it is not available even in the largest electronic shop in town.
!