Upgraded mobo,psu, ram, and cpu: no longer posts bios

valvedsteel

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello all,

After setting everything up, I turned the machine on for the first time and was shocked to see that there was no beep from the board nor video output. After about 20 seconds of running, it shut off on its own. I resolved the shutting down issue by clearing the CMOS. I've read many threads and other instances of problems similar to mine, and I haven't had any luck solving the posting issue.

The upgrade includes the following components:
Board - MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156
CPU - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

The only items I'm still using from my old set up are the case, two HDDs, DVD burner, and GPU (EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3). Everything else is brand new from Newegg.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Removing both sticks of RAM, resulting in two long beeps.

Removing just one stick of RAM, resulting in three beeps (from what I remember).

Removing the video card, resulting in one long beep and two short ones.

Unplugging HDDs and DVD burner, no effect.

Removing the battery for 20 minutes, no effect.

Using the old PSU, no effect.

Made sure all the standoffs were correctly screwed, no effect.

And that's all I can think of. One thing worth mentioning is that the RAM's stock voltages are 1.65V, while the board's manual has a diagram of a RAM stick with 1.5V. Also, it appears as though the board does not support the CPU (according to http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1894&maincat_no=1), so maybe that's the issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If no solution is possible, diagnosing the troubled component (either RAM, CPU, or board) would be nice so that I can return and hopefully fix it all together.

valvedsteel

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I did all 21 steps except using the system speaker (which I currently don't have but will soon buy seeing as how invaluable they are in these situations) and breadboarding. I wish I would have read the thread on that hours ago, would have saved me some time, but I'll try that now. Thanks.

valvedsteel

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
After some thorough testing, I found out that the video card is dead. It misleadingly still runs its cooling fan, but produces no output. I tried it on my old motherboard/cpu/ram and it was the same symptoms as the new set up. I plugged the monitor to the on-board graphics card of the old motherboard and voila!

So the question now is, is there any way to fix the GPU, or should I not bother and start looking for another one? The only "cause of death" I can think of is when I cleaned it for the first time earlier today using compressed air. I made sure to let it dry for about an hour before running it, but I may have done something wrong.

Edit: The new motherboard has no onboard graphics card, and I have no spare parts lying around. If I end up having to purchase a new one, what would be ideal for dual monitors and heaviest graphic load being Photoshop? (Although I one day plan to play Starcraft II and Diablo III).

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
It's an old enough card that I would just let it go. But try playing with it, video cards just don't "go dead."

For photoshop (which is more CPU intensive then GPU) and starcraft, diablo you could just get a HD 5770 and call it a day.