bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
corsair 850w psu
core i7920 @3.6ghz
corsair h50 and 800d
6gig ocz gold

theres my specs now i have a lamptron fan controller with temp. probes and i put one on my north bridge its reading around 30c when i start the pc and after about 30 or so mins of just general online searching and what not it tops out at 69.5-71c but stays there even if i stop searching on the internet and let the computer sit totally idle cpu temps are amazing gpu temps are amazing ram temps are amazing case temp is amazing but north bridge seems to be running fairly hot! i only got this mobo after my asrock mobo caught on fire after the north bridge got darn hot idk what caused that but the mobo had been fine for over a year and it just decided to cetch on fire my overclock should have much to do with it as on the asrock mobo i was @4ghz for a year without anything going wrong.
i would get a spot cooler but they just look dumb and i try to keep my case fairly clean of cables and such to make it look a bit more professtional
so northbridge idle 70c what gives? or is this normal for 1366 mobos because i neevr really checked the temp on my asrock mobo i figure the heat sink on that just came lose or somthing

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
wow, and i thought my nb was hot in the 60s, yours is close to failure, 1366 nbs are normally very high for most boards of this gen - Sandy nbs might be cooler... but regarding that temp, you may not get a good life span out of your current overclock if you dont pacify that nb

bilbat

Splendid
OK - got the latest batch of global warming scraped off my driveway - thought I'd pull up the 5 series doc's (specifically, the "Thermal & Mechanical") and get you an actual value - the P/H55's have a Tcase-max of 111°C, with a Tcontrol of 107°C. The new P/H/B/Q67's are a little lower at Tcase-max 104°C, and Tcontrol also at 104°C. The new toys only have to dissipate two and three quarters Watt at idle, and a hair over six Watts when a'crankin, compared to the 1.8W idle for the 55's, and <5W full-bore...

bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Um ya put that in English for me? Lol sorry I just dont understand what your saying. On a side note I did a stress test last night roomtemp was 80f and northbridge topped out at 78.6c that seems really hot idk it didn't seem unstable but 78.5c scares me especially when I don't know what the core is at the temp reading is just a probe in the heat sink of the north bridge. I just got this mono and I rly don't want to rma it someone tell me I'm ok lol

bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
here was my plan of action lol it worked
ripped off the gay "gigabyte" logo on the nb heat sink which surprisingly by it self took the nb down 5c then took off the nb heat sink it self and put on Arctic silver 5 then i added a
cheap silent 40mm fan (painted red) the end result is a cool looking north bridge that tops out at 45c :D

xxl2damax

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I had the same problem with a x58 Gigabyte Motherboard. Rip the aluminum sticker with Gigabyte logo (its also clamped) and place a 40 mm fan with at least 3000 rpm.

Thank you for the tip bobthecatkiller.