Eg Lawns

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Buying the parts over a month and a half period

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$1100 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, OS, monitor (for now)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, I used to be a ATI fanboy, but this new fermi stuff has got me hocked

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768 (for now, please don't tell me its over kill for the resolution. I know that already)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just has to be best bang for buck.

Sony DVD

HAF 922

Samsung F3

ASUS Motherboard

ARCTIC Thermal Compound

G-Skill RAM

EVGA 470 and CORSAIR 950W

AMD 955BE and 212 cooler

And yes I know the power supply is overkill, but its the best price, because if I buy the 750W it will cost me 20 dollars more.

Now for the questions. Will anything bottleneck? Will I be able to SLI? Would this be able to be upgradeable in the future? Everything Compatible?

Comments. I will be adding a 200mm fan to the side of the 922. But I was wondering is there any other place I could add a extra fan?

Solution
1) No bottleneck currently outside of your monitor

2) Yes, the board will SLI but I don't trust Nvidia chipsets. I would much rather see you getting an i5 750 for an SLI setup.

3) Yes, the board can handle the newer CPU's through BIOS update and newer GPU's. It doesn't have USB3.0 or SATA 6Gb/s support which is a little downer but not a show stopper.

4) They are all compatible with each other...

Time to buy & build... As the saying goes "Poop (she-it) or get off the pot" :)

Eg Lawns

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Are you sure you want the Fermi instead of a 5850/70?
(words from a ATI fanboy who was not impressed by fermi)

Yes I am sure. I know its hotter, and uses more power, but from the benchmarks I saw it consistently beats the 5850 and sometimes the 5870.

Eg Lawns

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

yea thats the idea, but there are just so many deals that if you really look are so tempting. You know what I mean? this is my first build and I want it to last.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
No build will last. Eventually you get into a holding pattern because 6 cores are coming out! Then 8 cores are coming out! I shouldn't buy until the new 20 cores are coming out.

No computer is future proof. You have a good build. Just get it rolling so you can actually ENJOY it sooner. Rather than worrying it's not perfect.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) No bottleneck currently outside of your monitor

2) Yes, the board will SLI but I don't trust Nvidia chipsets. I would much rather see you getting an i5 750 for an SLI setup.

3) Yes, the board can handle the newer CPU's through BIOS update and newer GPU's. It doesn't have USB3.0 or SATA 6Gb/s support which is a little downer but not a show stopper.

4) They are all compatible with each other...

Time to buy & build... As the saying goes "Poop (she-it) or get off the pot" :)

Solution

Eg Lawns

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

So I agree with the i5. Could you post a link to a good i5 and motherboard? can the motherboard be able to sli to.

tecmo34

Administrator
Nice overclock on the MSI... that is what can be done when using LN2, Don't expect it on air :D

The ASUS will overclock equally well or better than MSI, plus it is more future proof do to having SATA 6.0Gb/s and USB 3.0. It really is your call if those options are worth the cost difference between the MSI. Either board will get it done for you . :)

TRENDING THREADS