Warning: 197.13 WHQL Overheating Driver Issues

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Good Morning,

After upgrading to the beta and even the WHQL 197.13 Driver on my dual-SLI 9800GTX cards my video cards began running about 10-15 degrees hotter than usual and then randomly locking my computer (Most noticably while playing Assasins Creed 2).

Even after completely removing and reinstalling the 196.21 Driver the problem persisted.

I actually had to completely format and reinstall windows in order to rectify the problem. Now the cards are running without issue in Assasins Creed 2 and 10-15 degrees cooler.

The best stable driver for me so far has been 196.21 WHQL.

I just wanted to warn avid gamers that the overheating issue is NOT gone with the 197.13 drivers.

Thank you.

You're not joking? nVidia, two drivers causing overheating issues within such a short period of time? 196.75, and now 197.13? If it's true... then let's just hope what happened to your cards was an isolated incident... although I saw some guy on nVidia's forums saying his 9800GX2 and 8800GT overheated, as well as some dude posting about how WoW crashed easily due to overheating problems... maybe it's to do with G92 based cards. But 197.13 was released a few weeks ago, and nobody seemed to have any issues then.

Then again, nVidia's 196.21 drivers did lock overclocking software. Maybe nVidia's driver development crew aren't having a good time.

google66

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Same here, just updated to the newer 197.13 drivers suddenly my Aero drops out and goes back to Aero basic and my temps go from 47C to 55C. I opened the case up and pointed a floor Fan onto the video card itself to keep it from heating but goddamn that's crazy. Restarting my computer helped. Running an 8800gt AMD6000+ Windows 7 X86 (I need a new computer :( ]

Nvidia screwed up again YAY!....

I have been using the 197.13 before it was "approved" and if anything my temps have stayed the same while attaining a boost in several games & benching apps.

Did you sweep all your previous drivers prior to installing the 197.13??

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I uninstalled and Deleted the old drivers prior to deciding to reinstall windows.

Nothing I could do with drivers would allow the system to stop from overheating.

Maybe it has something to do with that driver and a particular hardware configuration?

I use the Striker II Extreme as well...

On another note, after installing 196.75 when it came out, my nvidia profile rules stopped working with my ESA compliant SilverStone commander which I also could not remedy until nuke and paving windows.

SV_Bubbles

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hmm, sounds like it's to do with the G80/G92's. Have a 275 thats running 197.13 without being affected and actually dropped the load temps 1 or 2c (if it's just not a coinci-dink).

One thing I noticed was that the newest drivers [at the time] upped my temps substantially when I updated them on my 8800GT. Came to find out it had just changed the Riva Tuner default probe to one of them located on the chip where-as my temp readings were coming from a probe that was located in proximity to the chip before. Just a long winded thought.

If you use Afterburner you can actually set your fan curve. This way if your temps go up your fan also kicks in. Much better than having the fan running that 75/80% the whole time.

Example :

Afterburner.png

google66

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I just want to add that at the time my temps went up erratically my video cards fan speed was set to 100%. I doubt that it seriously is a fault on my end since before these defective drivers came out my card was doing just fine.

TRENDING THREADS