New build CD/DVD drive won't read/detect discs

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hi everyone, I've managed to build my computer from scratch for the first time ever, so that's the goods news! :)

However I'm having an issue with my CD/DVD drive. It refuses to read discs, when i put a dvd or cd in it makes whirring noises and the light flashes showing activity. As soon as i press eject it says no disc in drive, so it must know that somethings is in their it just refuses to run or show a disc in the drive. I only manged to install windows 7 because i had a usb boot drive i made to restore an old laptop that i was selling. I have tried uninstalling it/installing and checked the drivers are all up to date and i also set the region to location 2 (UK)
I then downloaded Microsoft Fixit dvd to repair the problem. It just came up with unreadable format etc. When these are discs i know are readable as they worked in my previous windows 7 laptop...
Any ideas? Faulty drive possibly? Loose cable??

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello there, thanks for the reply. It is in a SATA 3Gb/s port as my 6Gb/s ports are occupied by the SATA cables for my SSD and my HDD. I'm also running the sata ports in ahci mod for the benefit of the ssd. Is it because i'm running it in ahci?

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I've checked all the cables, and put it in different ports with no success. I don't think i'm using a secondary SATA controller, i've left eveything standard except changing the SATA mode to AHCI. When i place a disc in it know's it there and i can eject on 'my computer', it just refuses to autorun, but doesn't show up as anything in the drive or allow me to look at the data. Very confused!

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Also when i enter BIOS my m4 crucial SSD 64gb isn't detected for some reason when it loads up the basic bios, (I have UEFI BIOS) yet it still boots up windows 7 from it??? If i look in the advanced bios it is recognised as being plugged into one of the 6gb/s ports. Any ideas why it could be doing this?

RealBeast

Titan
When the disk is in, click on Computer in the start menu -- do you see the drive there? You can change autorun settings for the drive in the Autoplay control panel.

RealBeast

Titan
Seems like some boards don't specifically list SATA drives in the bios, but in the startup bios screen all the attached devices should be listed by port number.

george1992uk

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Hi, yes the drive always shows up, when i put a disc in and try to open it in a new window a blank window just pops up?? i've set my computer to autorun everything, and from the sounds coming from the hard drive it is appearing to attempt to read the disc but nothing is showing?