[Solved] Internet Woes

5150_5150

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Alright.. I put together a new rig last week, and have got everything working except the internet can be a bit dodgy at times. My internet is a bit sketchy anyways, but the problem I am having now is only on my new computer. Everyone once in awhile (typically at night when no one in my house is on the computer) the connection to my router gets drop and it's lag central for 5-10 minutes. I am 2 floors away from my router, which is farther away than any other computer. I typically get a 1-2/5 bars connection. I originally only had a wireless card in my computer, but my internet speeds were like 3 kb/sec with that card. Luckily newegg sent me this antenna thing with the card for free, so I hooked that up to my card and now the internet is at acceptable speeds, except for the random drop offs from the connection.

Router (very old, at least 4 years, firmware has never been updated)
WRT54G V5 Can't find it for sale at any reputable retailers.

Wireless Card
Trendnet Wireless N

High Gain Antenna
Rosewill High Gain Antenna

Here is a brief example testing my ping. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/coolman10264/ping.png?t=1273564570

So my question is: what should I tried first? New wireless card? New router? Please recommend items you think are worth trying. And as always ask whatever you need to know.

G

Two floors and celings, furniture etc can absorb a lot of signal. If router and computer are on the same side of the building start by considering whether you can put both near a window.

Experiment with channels (the different frequencies work better in some environments).

If you have strong neighbouring wifi, select a channel 5 stops from the strongest.

Relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from router or computer.

Spending money on a new technology router and adapter (I'd stick with one brand) may improve things but basic physics will always prevail.

5150_5150

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
The router is basically mounted to the ceiling of my basement, it is as high as it can possibly be. My computer/router are not on the same side of the house. As far as changing the channels, that is simply plugging the modem into a different spot on the router, correct? If so I tried plugged it into 2 and 3 on the router and I couldn't even get on the internet afterwards. I don't have any phone bases or anything like that in the way.

G

"As far as changing the channels, that is simply plugging the modem into a different spot on the router, correct? "

No.

Go into the setup screens of the router (for how, see literature which came with router or download the manual from the maker's site). In Wireless Settings you can select wireless channels (in Europe up to 13, USA 12). The channels represent slight changes in frequency and this affects the way they travel in different physical environments. You have to experiment to find the best for yours.

jordanrhughes

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
2.4 Ghz routers are better to go through walls and floors, but the signal doesn't travel as far as a 5Ghz router, they are better for sight line of sight connections. I am betting that you have a 5 Ghz router?

5150_5150

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Nope, it's a 2.4Ghz router, and as far as changing the frequencies I can't log in to the router with admin/admin and don't remember setting a password on it. I would really like to not have to reset the router, but I know resetting it is the only way for me to be able to log in. Any other options?