Sign in with
Your question

Can i get Windows 7 OEM?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2011 1:33:54 AM

Hello,

I will be building a computer soon and was wondering if i can buy the OEM version of Windows 7? The reason i ask is because the place where I'm purchasing it says 'To purchase this OEM software, you must be a System Builder and accept this license. “System Builder” means an original equipment manufacturer, an assembler, a refurbisher, or a software pre-installer that sells the Customer System(s) to a third party and is registered with Microsoft as a system builder or OEM partner. You accept this OEM license when you open this Pack. To register go to http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/community/mpn/Pages/enr...'. If i wasn't going the 'sell it to a third party', would i still be able to use it?

Thanks

More about : windows oem

October 26, 2011 1:50:31 AM

Yes you can use the OEM version of windows, technically you have to buy the OEM software at the same time when you buy your components but some places sell the software by itself or with a DVD drive or something like that.

You should know that the OEM version of windows 7 is tied to your motherboard so if you replace your motherboard you need to buy another copy of windows, whereas the retail version you can install and uninstall as many times as you like but you are only allowed one active version at any one time.

Also when you buy OEM you have to buy either the 32bit or 64bit version so pick carefully, the retail version has both versions in the box but you can only use one at a time. Retail also come with microsoft support and OEM will not, you have to do your own troubleshooting.
October 26, 2011 2:07:22 AM

Gamer-girl said:
Also when you buy OEM you have to buy either the 32bit or 64bit version so pick carefully, the retail version has both versions in the box but you can only use one at a time.
Although technically right (OEM DVD only comes with 1 version), the product key itself is good for both 32 and 64 bits (but still only one at a time). So even if you were to buy the "wrong one", you could always get a replacement DVD from MS or get one from the web and use your key.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 2:26:41 AM

True, all the above ^^^
October 26, 2011 2:41:22 AM

are you guys sure that you cant just call microsoft and explain to them the situation, lets say your mobo dies or something like that?

I personally don't know but I have heard of individuals doing this.
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 2:49:14 AM

I buy the oem version all the time and I am not a system builder , you can just buy it and install it.
October 26, 2011 3:03:13 AM

thesnappyfingers said:
are you guys sure that you cant just call microsoft and explain to them the situation, lets say your mobo dies or something like that?

I personally don't know but I have heard of individuals doing this.

You can but it is dependent on how well you convince the Microsoft rep or even their mood. It wouldn't work 100% of the time.
October 26, 2011 3:06:26 AM

Gamer-girl said:
You can but it is dependent on how well you convince the Microsoft rep or even their mood. It wouldn't work 100% of the time.

Ahh, so it is dependent upon personal charm, and the case of the Mondays.
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 4:42:15 AM

I never had any problems with MS activation, just tell them it died. What they care, is that u stay with them, so they are easy to work with. If people call with attitude, they may have a problem.

Be nice! : )
!