Sign in with
Your question

XPC Shuttle build... not sure about graphics...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2010 6:36:46 PM

Hi all... been about a squillion years since I built a PC and mine is pretty much steam driven so it's time for a new one... on a budget.

Needs to be small and quiet as the room is tiny and I want to watch movies on it hence choosing the SN78SH7 shuttle barebones doohicky.

Into that will be squeezed:

AMD Phenom x4 965 3.4ghz cpu
4GB DDR 2 800Mhz RAM
1TB Western Digital HDD
Blur Ray drive

Now, it's got a reasonable on board HD sound card with 7.1 outputs so sound is sorted...

But it needs a graphics card. And Shuttle in thier apparently infinite wisdom decided to put the PCI-e slot on the wrong side so only single slot cards will fit in.

Not had much luck finding one with much get up and go... There's
1gb nVidia 9800GT from Zotac
1gb ATi 5670
512mb ATI 4859 (which is HDCP compatable apparently) from XFX
Or perhaps card that comes with a huge fan and buy a Zalman VNF100 over the back passive heatpipe cooler for instance the Powercooler 5750 has a single slot layout which would fit with the zalmon cooler or the HIS 5770 hmmm... though I'm pretty sure that would invalidate the warranty...

Not sure if it makes much difference but the motherboard has that hybrid SLi gubbins on, so an nVidia card will SLi itself up with the on board card (so XPC reckon)...
a c 1367 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 7:27:23 PM

How many Watts is the PSU? I have a feeling that you should be looking at HD5670 which is the most powerful of the low power draw cards. The hybrid SLI will only work with a low power card like 8400gs so you can forget that solution.
April 3, 2010 8:31:06 PM

rolli59 said:
How many Watts is the PSU? I have a feeling that you should be looking at HD5670 which is the most powerful of the low power draw cards. The hybrid SLI will only work with a low power card like 8400gs so you can forget that solution.

Officially it's a 300W PSU ... but according to the Shuttle forums they make up the numbers and no one has found anything that physically fits into those cases that the PSU wont power... the 300W PSU apparently happily powers a Phenom x4 965 and 9800GT without overheating, shutting down, or melting like anyone would expect... the shuttle website even says it'll take a HD 4850 (the model that's thin enough has been discontinued... it was an MSI 4850 512mb)...

So as far as power is concerned Shuttle seem to encourage the "guess" method of making sure it works :|
Related resources
a c 1367 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 8:36:55 PM

The newer 9800GT's (550 system clocks) don't need external power so that is not a surprise but the HD4850 is. I would still go with the HD5670 since it generates little heat inside the small box and performs on level with the 9800GT.
April 3, 2010 8:48:11 PM

rolli59 said:
The newer 9800GT's (550 system clocks) don't need external power so that is not a surprise but the HD4850 is. I would still go with the HD5670 since it generates little heat inside the small box and performs on level with the 9800GT.

How much oomph do they really give for games?

I've seen lots of reviews saying things like it wont do everything on max in crysis... which is a) a game I don't own, and b) is something that can be said of pretty much all midrange and below graphics cards...

I'm wanting to play Supreme Commander, Supreme Commander 2, Dawn of War II that sort of thing... if I'm desperate for ultra high graphics I can always get the xbox version, certainly doesn't seem phased by bioshock 2 (though would prefer a mouse and keyboard over the silly controller). I don't need the graphics all maxxed out so I can make out the hairs on the back of a fly at 1000yards while it's moving one way and I'm moving the other.

Obviously pretty much any current graphics card wont have any trouble running a blue ray (or shouldn't) so that's by the by... but I've gone near 2 years now unable to buy a PC game and I'm bored of spending £15 extra per game to get them on the xbox
April 3, 2010 9:29:36 PM

rolli59 said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5670_1_GB/30.... The problem with cards that are higher powered is that they are all dual slot design.

That would suggest that for the most part a 9800GT with 1gb of ram would be ever so slightly better... and the Zotac version has a passive heatsink which would be very quiet indeed...

Hmmm... many thinkings needed... the DirectX 11 thing doesn't seem to matter too much yet... and by the time I think it will matter I'll be in a possition to get a more powerful i7 powered lump with an uber card...

Hmmm.

Maybe a coin toss...
a c 1367 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 9:51:11 PM

Actually you might be able to get the 9800GT cheaper than the HD5670
April 3, 2010 10:38:39 PM

rolli59 said:
Actually you might be able to get the 9800GT cheaper than the HD5670

Hmm. Silent, Cheaper, and ever so slightly cheaper...

I even think that thanks to the mobo architecture I'd still be able to have a 3 monitor set up if I so wished... Hmmm

Funny thing is I'd thought the nVidia was best at first, then for some reason got it into my head that the ATi was much better because it was newer... funny old world when you look at PC stuffs
!