Program won't close, unless I open in Administrator mode

lookingformore

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello,
I'm having issues with XP. Originally it was with a genealogy program and I've went back and forth with them. If I load the program, it saves the file and then won't close, hits an error. If I load the program in administrator mode, I have a difficult time finding the file, if I can, I can open the file and exit the program fine.

Today I had an issue installing Java. I kept hitting error and it occurred to me, to right click and install as administrator. Java finally installed that way.

Can you help me rectify this issue? It started happening back in the summer with the genealogy program and they deemed it an issue with Windows xp not allowing the program to save where it needed to be. The program used to work fine and saved it there. Something else has happened - gremlins? :)

Programs need to be installed by an administrator account. Most XP programs should install for use for all users, but some older programs will only run properly under an administrator account. If you have the option during a program install of "single user" or "all users", select the "all users" option otherwise only the account you installed from will be able to use it properly. There's not much you can do about it.

lookingformore

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello -

This program isn't an older program. I've uninstalled it, and reinstalled, etc. It's quite frustrating. They did tell me it's a window error not allowing saved data in the correct place... I'm usually pretty handy fixing my computer but I'm a caregiver for my Dad and time isn't always available to troubleshoot.

annavande

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
The program used to work fine and saved it there.
27.jpg

If it worked fine before, than one of the below must have happened.

1. The account you had it installed under before was an admin account.

2. The account you currently have it installed under most likely isn't an administrator account. If it was an administrator account before, it's possible it no longer is or...

3. They did tell me it's a window error not allowing saved data in the correct place..
I would expect support knows their own program. It may just not always work properly under XP.