PSU for GTX 480

ZFrost

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I'm close to ordering a new computer and I decided to go with a single GTX 480 as my GPU, problem is I've been reading quite a bit about how power hungry this particular card is. I've been out of the loop for the last few years as far as computer hardware goes, so I feel like I'm having to learn everything all over again, and I wasn't sure if the 750W PSU I selected for this system would be enough for this GPU.. Would I be better off going up to a 1,000W? The rest of the specs for the system are:

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (OC'ed to 3.9GHz)
w/ Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator)
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI Motherboard
6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator w/ DHX Extreme Edition
1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache Hard Drive

I appreciate any help/advice offered. :)

Solution
I noticed your opting for a Evga sli m/b. Its a nice m/b to base your build on.
But if your ever going to SLI in the future would you need a 850. A high end brand as well.
Are you having the computer built by a online company ?
A 750 is good enough for 1 gtx 480. Even o/c the card would be around the 300 watt , mark. Rounding of, a quad cpu o/c is 180 ?
Plenty of breathing room.

notty22

Distinguished
I noticed your opting for a Evga sli m/b. Its a nice m/b to base your build on.
But if your ever going to SLI in the future would you need a 850. A high end brand as well.
Are you having the computer built by a online company ?
A 750 is good enough for 1 gtx 480. Even o/c the card would be around the 300 watt , mark. Rounding of, a quad cpu o/c is 180 ?
Plenty of breathing room.

Solution

ZFrost

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Yep, I'm having it built by someone else. I considered doing it myself but considering I haven't built a computer in so long I was a little worried of messing something up.

I hadn't really considered whether or not I would SLI at some point in the future. I had just figured the single GTX 480 would be more than enough on it's own for quite awhile.

Thank you for the PSU advice, definitely saved me some money from having to upgrade it unnecessarily. :D