Finished T2X

Last response: in Video Games
July 8, 2005 4:44:31 PM

Well, finally finished it. Was not impressed with the first or last
levels of it.
Were the only "alternate" arrows the water, gas, and fire?
"Grand Hotel" might of been my favorite. Missed a lot of loot on
Expert and I think I only found 1 secret.
Back to T2 FM's for this guy.
Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in the Forums.
Albert

More about : finished t2x

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:44:32 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:44:31 GMT, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> Well, finally finished it. Was not impressed with the first or last
>levels of it.

Yeah, most of it was pretty good though.

> Were the only "alternate" arrows the water, gas, and fire?

Water > Ice
Gas > uh what did it do again?
Fire > Flare?
Moss > Confusion
Rope > Bigby's Crushing Hand, er, no that's just my imagination.

> "Grand Hotel" might of been my favorite. Missed a lot of loot on
>Expert and I think I only found 1 secret.

I think my favorite was the one where you collected the lich's bones and
threw them in the incinerator.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in
> the Forums. Albert

You mean TTLG forums ?
July 8, 2005 7:47:29 PM

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p yuze.133764$PR6.7663@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> Well, finally finished it. Was not impressed with the first or last
> levels of it.

I think this is the best game that came out since TDP and it really captured
the spirit of it, actually reminded me a lot of playing it the first time.
Definitely one of the best fan made missions, up there together with 7th
Crystal and most of Christine Schneiders missions and not much else.
What struck me that it was very balanced (and slightly too easy even on
Expert) which means that a lot of testing and team effort went in to make it
enjoyable for many people. For my taste most fm's are leaning too far
towards the preferences of the author.

Bear in mind that the first was a training/introduction mission for building
up the atmosphere. Also quite happy that the end mission was not so long and
drawn out as it could've been, because basically we knew by now what needs
doing and you wanted to get it over with.

> "Grand Hotel" might of been my favorite.
> Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in the Forums.
> Albert

Reminded me a bit of Art of Thievery and the many Hotel/Castle missions out
there. But really I think the 'Bonehoard', oops, Dead Men mission was the
best, possibly followed by the hospital mission.

B.
July 8, 2005 7:47:30 PM

"Barnaby" <Dont.come.to.us@We.ll.come.to.you.com> wrote in

<snip>
> For my taste most fm's are leaning too far
> towards the preferences of the author. <snip>

People that make the FMs usually don't ask for
a public preference before they dive into dromed.
Try your hand at making a mission in the style you like
and we'll all be glad to give it a go.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 8:32:47 PM

"Mos" <Not@YourHouse> wrote in message

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in
> > the Forums. Albert
>
> You mean TTLG forums ?

Usually a level headed place but some taffers easily brandish their fanboi
side whenever any criticism is hurled at any of the Thief games especially
T2X because it's free and that means you shouldn't criticize it at all.
<rolls eyes>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:31:00 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:17:48 -0500, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:
>Water > Ice

Useful to cross water, apparently also freeze targets but I never found
that worked.

>Gas > uh what did it do again?

Gas supposedly exploded into a big fireball when you fired it at a fire
source (torch, fireplace, etc) but always crashed the game when I tried
to use it.

>Fire > Flare?

Yup, flare. Useful against groups of zombies as it makes them run away.
Supposedly they take damage as well but did not see any evidence of
that.

>Moss > Confusion

Very handy if you want to start 2 enemies fighting each other as a
distraction.

>Rope > Bigby's Crushing Hand, er, no that's just my imagination.

You play too much D&D :)

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/&gt;

> I think this is the best game that came out since TDP

Seconded.

although I found in TDP the fact that you were a Thief, at times, got lost.

i'm not sure whether I prefer TDP, or T2X.

but both are fantastic. Either way, the FREE T2x beats T2 for me... but
bear in mind that the inspiriation of T2 exists in T2X all over the
place so T2X wouldn't have been so great if T2 hadn't been there in the
first place.

D.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:48:45 AM

"Daniel C" <dontemailme@all.com> wrote in message
> > I think this is the best game that came out since TDP
>
> Seconded.
>
> although I found in TDP the fact that you were a Thief, at times, got
lost.

> i'm not sure whether I prefer TDP, or T2X.
>
> but both are fantastic. Either way, the FREE T2x beats T2 for me... but
> bear in mind that the inspiriation of T2 exists in T2X all over the
> place so T2X wouldn't have been so great if T2 hadn't been there in the
> first place.
>
> D.

Yup. I'll sometimes state that I prefer T2 to TDP but the sheer excitement I
felt when playing TDP for the first time was only matched by T2X.

--
Barnaby
Anonymous

Mos wrote:

> "Barnaby" <Dont.come.to.us@We.ll.come.to.you.com> wrote in
>
> <snip>
>
>>For my taste most fm's are leaning too far
>>towards the preferences of the author. <snip>
>

> People that make the FMs usually don't ask for
> a public preference before they dive into dromed.
> Try your hand at making a mission in the style you like
> and we'll all be glad to give it a go.

If time allowed, I wouldn't mind trying to make an FM. I hear it takes a
lot of time to make one.
Albert
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:59:53 AM

Mos wrote:

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>> Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in
>>the Forums. Albert
>

> You mean TTLG forums ?

Yep, that's the one. Some people in there treat others pretty bad.
July 9, 2005 11:46:58 AM

> Mos wrote:
>
>> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Thanks for all the nudges. Seems friendlier here then in
>>>the Forums. Albert
>>

>> You mean TTLG forums ?
>>

> Yep, that's the one. Some people in there treat others
> pretty bad.

Have to be part of the clic, I guess.
July 9, 2005 6:18:39 PM

> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Mos wrote:
>>
>>> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> <snip>

>>> You mean TTLG forums ?
>>>

>> Yep, that's the one. Some people in there treat others
>> pretty bad.
>
> Have to be part of the clic, I guess.

I sincerely hope you mean a FEW of the TTLG forums. Even though I'm a
moderator there, I wouldn't post someplace like CommChat because it can be
very nasty there. However, I hope that is not the general feeling about the
FM forum, which is one of the ones I moderate. We try to keep the atmosphere
there welcoming to members and as far as I know, there is no "in group" that
treats anyone else badly. We have a few members who can be sarcastic or
overly critical (but I've seen that here too on occasion) but for the most
part, everyone is always happy to help out people who are in need of
assistance and do so cheerfully. Go read a few threads and you'll see that's
the case.

Nightwalker

--
Remove "leavemealone" from email address when replying.
July 9, 2005 6:18:40 PM

"Nightwalker" <nightwalkerfmleavemealone@shaw.ca> wrote in
message news:31Rze.1920126$6l.1210413@pd7tw2no
> "Mos" <Not@YourHouse> wrote in message
>>

>> "Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> Yep, that's the one. Some people in there treat others
>>> pretty bad.
>>
>> Have to be part of the clic, I guess.
>>

> I sincerely hope you mean a FEW of the TTLG forums. Even
> though I'm a moderator there, I wouldn't post someplace
> like CommChat because it can be very nasty there.
> However, I hope that is not the general feeling about the
> FM forum, which is one of the ones I moderate. We try to
> keep the atmosphere there welcoming to members and as far
> as I know, there is no "in group" that treats anyone else
> badly. We have a few members who can be sarcastic or
> overly critical (but I've seen that here too on occasion)
> but for the most part, everyone is always happy to help
> out people who are in need of assistance and do so
> cheerfully. Go read a few threads and you'll see that's
> the case.
> Nightwalker

I've noticed it some in The Editor's Guild and have to
admit I haven't read much in the other forums. What
I've seen in the FM forum, it seems more relaxed.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:29:52 AM

Nightwalker wrote:

> I sincerely hope you mean a FEW of the TTLG forums. Even though I'm a
> moderator there, I wouldn't post someplace like CommChat because it can be
> very nasty there. However, I hope that is not the general feeling about the
> FM forum, which is one of the ones I moderate. We try to keep the atmosphere
> there welcoming to members and as far as I know, there is no "in group" that
> treats anyone else badly. We have a few members who can be sarcastic or
> overly critical (but I've seen that here too on occasion) but for the most
> part, everyone is always happy to help out people who are in need of
> assistance and do so cheerfully. Go read a few threads and you'll see that's
> the case.
>
> Nightwalker

Sorry if there was confusion. A good majority over there are very
polite and helpful. You moderate it very well. I guess it is just the
few sarcastic/overly critical that stands out.
One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch. The TTLG Forums is a good
source of information and assistance.
Albert
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:32:28 AM

"Albert Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> kirjoitti
viestiss√§:p bGze.101668$j51.63004@tornado.texas.rr.com...

> If time allowed, I wouldn't mind trying to make an FM. I hear it takes a
> lot of time to make one.

It does. I may never actually release a mission, although I'd like to. I'm
dabbling with the Dromed and now the T3Ed, putting together a little
something, perhaps more out of 'academic' interest at this point than
anything else. I have an idea for a story and have worked on the mission in
Dromed, but now I'm considering building it with the T3Ed instead. FAR from
being able to call myself an experienced builder, I have some idea as to
what it takes to build a mission, and with that my appreciation for the FM
authors has grown exponentially -- not that I didn't appreciate them before.

For one thing, the editors themselves are quirky beasts. They are buggy,
somewhat clumsy, not anywhere near as finished products as what you might
expect from your average commercial software. It takes a bit of dedication
to get familiar with them, but complex as they are, the basics are
relatively simple to learn and there are a few very good tutorials around to
help a beginner get started. Komag's tutorials on both the Dromed and the
T3Ed are a good place to start. They walk you hand-in-hand through building
a mini-mission, complete with architecture, AIs, textures, lighting, setting
objectives, making readables, sounds -- the works. After that, it's a
matter of reading the Editor's Guild forums and surfing the web, studying
the original missions and the Fan Missions in the editor and seeing how they
were built, and of course trying things out yourself. The forums are a
friendly enough place, I think, and questions are answered with surprising
patience.

I think it's best for an aspiring FM author to first simply dabble with the
editor, build things and try them out without any specific plans. When one
feels comfortable with the editor and the process of creating a mission, the
good building practices and the bad, only then should one proceed with
building an actual mission. If one starts out building a mission without
previous experience, learning by doing, chances are that at some point the
whole mission needs to be re-built because of various problems arising from
inexperienced building.

Anyway, it's fascinating stuff, working with the editor, putting together a
few rooms, AIs, etc., and seeing your creation come to life. Even a small
mission is a lot of work. A large mission is daunting, and something like
the T2X -- well -- there's a reason why it took five years and was a
joint-effort of a highly talented and dedicated team. My hat's off to every
single FM author, be the mission large or small!

- Mika L
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:34:17 PM

"Nightwalker" <nightwalkerfmleavemealone@shaw.ca> kirjoitti
viestissä:31Rze.1920126$6l.1210413@pd7tw2no...
> I sincerely hope you mean a FEW of the TTLG forums. Even though I'm a
> moderator there, I wouldn't post someplace like CommChat because it can be
> very nasty there.

Yeah, the Community Chat is like a release-valve for the other forums. It's
a place where mostly anything goes, and people largely understand that. You
can expect pretty much anything for an answer there, and my guess is that
people also kind of expect the CommChat to be more than a little 'off'.
It's a place where you can let off some steam and discuss anything your
little heart desires. The catch is, so can everyone else, so don't expect
the threads you start to stay on topic for very long :D  It's still
moderated, though, so it's not quite anything that goes, after all. For a
seasoned taffer, who knows where he's sticking his neck into... I don't
read half of the stuff in there -- but there's also much that is genuinely
interesting and 'normal' stuff in there, worth reading and commenting.

> However, I hope that is not the general feeling about the FM forum, which
> is one of the ones I moderate.

I'm positive it's not. The FM forum is the nicest, friendliest web forum
I've even been a member of, and much of it is thanks to you and the example
you set. Where does all that patience come from?? ;)  The FM forum pretty
much defines the whole of TTLG for me. Sure, perhaps sometimes, rarely
though, a comment or two may be a bit on the acerbic side, but we're all
human beings, after all, not robots. Answers need not always be in "Just
the facts, Ma'm" -style. A bit of color and personality is quite often only
a good thing, when it's kept in check, and this is exactly what
characterizes the FM forum, should anyone ask me.

On the whole, all the Thief Series forums (Thief Series General Discussion,
Thief I & II: Hints and Spoilers, Thief: Deadly Spoilers, Thief Fan
Missions, T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, and Thievery UT Discussion --
although I don't follow that) are very amicable.

> We try to keep the atmosphere there welcoming to members and as far as I
> know, there is no "in group" that treats anyone else badly. We have a few
> members who can be sarcastic or overly critical (but I've seen that here
> too on occasion) but for the most part, everyone is always happy to help
> out people who are in need of assistance and do so cheerfully. Go read a
> few threads and you'll see that's the case.

Exactly. There's no "in group", and no-one is treated as an outsider. On
the contrary, my experience is that newcomers are welcomed with open arms;
they are, after all, potential future FM authors ;)  Wouldn't want to scare
them off, now, would we? :D

- Mika L
July 12, 2005 4:22:40 PM

I'm glad to hear that the FM forum is welcoming. I've tried hard over the
years (I've been moderating there for almost 4 years now! Yikes, where does
the time go?) to keep the nasty comments down and encourge new members to
feel confident to post questions, comments, etc. Thanks for reassuring me.
:-)

Nightwalker

--
Remove "leavemealone" from email address when replying.
"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote

!