How hard is it to get a 480?

G

Hey guys, it's time I upgrade my video card so I just started doing research now. Does anyone know how hard it is to get a 480? I realize they come out on the 12th, but I don't know how long the lines are at these preorder sites.

Are they going to be available on ebay for a reasonable price (MSRP + or - $100)?

Or am I going to have to wait longer for availability and if so, how much longer?

qwerty45

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hey guys, it's time I upgrade my video card so I just started doing research now. Does anyone know how hard it is to get a 480? I realize they come out on the 12th, but I don't know how long the lines are at these preorder sites.

Are they going to be available on ebay for a reasonable price (MSRP + or - $100)?

Or am I going to have to wait longer for availability and if so, how much longer?

Get an HD 5870. End of story.

Let's see.

They're delayed until April 12'th, and every reputable e-tailor has them on pre-order already. Meaning they have so many reserved.

nVidia is only shipping 10,000 worldwide.

Odds? Not good.

Ebay? Expect to pay $100 more, for which you can get an HD5970.

G

Huh, 10,000? Isn't that plenty to go around? I can't see 10k gamers updating their video cards

To be fair, the 5970 is also 100$+ above retail on Ebay.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
As of last december ATI has sold..... 800,000 DX11 cards ^.^

Now it is April. Im sure sales have increased significantly since then, but lets give the benefit of the doubt and say ATI hasn't sold anything in the past 3 months.

Nvidias stock is a drop in the ocean.

Eyefinity 6 Radeon 5870s are also currently available :D. Anyway, I'm sure 480s are going to be hard to get a hold of. It's not just that they have poor yields, but that TSMC slowed their production rate by over reacting to the depression which means it will be a while before they start putting out a sufficient amount of wafers. After all, we still have shortages of 5970s, which are just high binned (for low power) RV870 chips ^_^

notty22

Distinguished
I just recently saw a video from a overseas enthusiast event, pax??. Lost the link. But a reporter was talking to a msi(i believe) spokesman, He mentioned they were going to release a new card a 5870x2 (4gb maybe). The reporter asks, a 5870x2 and not a 5970 ?
The spokesman said they made a deal with ati, they essentially bought rites to make this model and call it whatever they want, the fellow then said, we could call it "monster" (he really said that) if we want , loling. He also mentioned that they do bin gpu's for these special models, (from what they recieve)
Sorry for all the hearsay , lost the link. But I know thats what was said.

But anyone with at least 1 finger could do that in about 4.5 seconds through CCC.