Asus P8P67 Pro/Deluxe 3-Way SLI?

McCruiskeen

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi

I've got a question to which I haven't been able to find a straight answer; every site seems to say something different.

Does the Asus P8P67 Pro and/or Deluxe support 3 Videocards in SLI? There are 3 PCI-E x16 Slots, but I haven't seen any reliable confirmation if you can use all of them for a 3-Way SLI or not.

NO, it's a 2-WAY MOBO with a third PCIe for e.g. RevoDrive, and will NOT function in any 3-WAY. The requires a secondary nVidia chipset.

If you're using anything like a GTX 580+ in 2/3-WAY then you're losing frames with anything more than a single HD or 2560 x 1600 monitor.

DRAFT:
Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg

^ ALL of those MOBOs are producing problems in one way or the other the other.

The GA-P67A-UD5 (rev. 1.0) is suffering from a 'bad batch' and a failing all over the web, and confirmed by GA.

Even the EVGA P67 Classified, my preference, isn't being released until the NF200 bug is fixed.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'd avoid gigabyte like the plague. They used cheapo foxconn sockets and already have a 1155 socket burn issue.
Gigabyte is a solid MOBO maker just like Asus and I've a great experience with their P55A MOBOs. Having said that, yet to review about their P67 MOBOs so I need to know more. Could you please upload a picture or two of that burned Foxconn socket?

Thanks.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Let me just add that benching at 1.6v was the cause of this. You can't get this issue from low volts.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265317

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-01-17/129d.jpg
There you go!

Anyway, I'm aware of such an issue right from the P55 days but that didn't discourage me investing tens of thousands of dollars in my P55A upgrade project in early 2010. Most important factor is I don't need any extreme OCing in my Business environment because Turbo mode is more than enough complimented with a good quality RAM such as Corsair 1600 with a decent 8-8-8-24.

Thanks for highlighting the socket news, appreciate it. I could hope the same for those P67 MOBOs but am not yet zeroed on a Gigabyte product this time :)

PS: This quote on that thread by alucasa made me to laugh badly:

"More and more people are becoming victims of hypertension!"

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks guys, I think that I am going with the Asus deluxe. Gigabyte seems to have problems even in the professional reviews. I am not going to use three graphics cards and so the N200 bridge is not needed.

I have the Asus Deluxe. I have a few BIOS issues with it. One being that DDR3 1600 will not boot in pairs on bios 0503. you have to use one stick, flash the BIOS to 1003 via EZ flash, and then pop in the other stick. Also clear the cmos first at the back of the motherboard. That has fixed a lot of peoples problems I guess. another problem is more complicated which I posted here Asus

Another problem is the num lock won't boot on and sometimes it says the keyboard wasn't found. I think clearing the cmos might fix these issues tho.

Other than that once in windows it's a solid board.

I'm waiting for the X68 and as I did with the X58 -- I waited until there's 1 or 2+ BIOS revisions. It's a Guinea Pig thing. I have built tons of rigs and ASUS has been the best overall; few are perfect for day 1 to EOL.

Good Luck!

I thought about waiting but Ivy Bridge sounds expensive so I'm fine with sandy bridge. Way faster than my old quad core.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

I remember that X68/LGA 2011 products would be based on Sandy Bridge, not Ivy Bridge :non:

No idea. I'm fine with what I got tho as it's retarded fast. Next ugprade would be an SSD to be honest. slowest thing on my computer. Everything else is a 7.9 on the windows index but the hard drive is 5.9.

WEI means nothing in gaming, I run 3-WAY SLI and comparing my WEI 7.3 HD 5770 on my work rigs vs my pegged 7.9 on my gaming rigs is ridiculous.

The X68 vs P67 cost is not going to be more than $200~$300 for the 6-core but I assume the 8-core will have a crazy price tag.