Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Supply Decision

Last response: in Components
July 8, 2010 8:46:46 PM

Hello,

Im basing my current build off the $1055 Gamer build in the Recommended Builds by Usage thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended...

The only changes I have made was swapping out the Lite-On DVD drive for a LG Blu-Ray Burner and the Seagate Barracuda HD for a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3.

Now in the build they recommend the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... ). I was looking around and found the Corsair HX750W 750-Watt Modular Power Supply ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... ). The Modular PSU is appealing to me as far as the ability to remove / add connectors as needed and cut down on clutter inside the case. Is it worth spending the extra $30 or does it boil down to personal preference?

Also would this build be able to run on less then a 750W PSU? Im assuming the reason why a 750W is recommended is for the option down the road to Overclock? I'm currently not looking into Overclocking, could I go with a smaller PSU? Maybe a 600W or 650W? Any feedback and or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Below is what I currently have for my build. The only thing I have not decided on is the PSU.

*CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX
*MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
*RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
*HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
*GPU: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
*DVD: LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM
*Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks,

Porter.

More about : power supply decision

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 8, 2010 9:05:50 PM

The official recommended power requirements based on your graphics card are as follows:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the entire system not just your graphics card.

Recommended brands are Corsair, Seasonic and the newer Antec models.

As you mentioned, you're already looking at a Corsair unit. I would say a 750W unit would be overkill for that build. As you can see from the recommended specs a 650W unit would be more than enough and would leave you with plenty of headroom as well. Corsair also do a 650-HX PSU that has modular cabling so you could spend the money you saved on a lower wattage PSU and spend it on a modular unit if you wanted to ;)  Hope this helps and good luck!
July 8, 2010 9:16:27 PM

Best answer selected by Porter707.
n
nAwesome! Thanks for the input and timely responses!
n
nLooks like I'm going to go with a Corsair 650-HX.
n
nOnce again thanks for helping me complete my build! :) 
n
m
l
!