Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crossfire on motherboard question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2010 10:15:10 PM

Currently I have a 5770 and I plan to crossfire it. The thing is though is that my mobo has one x16 PCI-E slot and another x8 PCI-E slot, but the x8 slot is the size of a x16 slot. This can be seen here (in the orange slot the metal contacts only go to half). In that picture with the way the slots are separated can the eyefinity bridge stretch across that far?

I also plan to do eyefinity with three 24" 1080p monitors. So with crossfired 5770s can I get enough bandwidth of a total of x24 to have eyefinity and good graphics in games?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 10:33:44 PM

In terms of performance, the two lanes will go into 8x/8x bandwith mode, but it won't affect your performance at all - only very few cards like the HD 5970 actually need the full bandwith. As for the Eyefinity questions, I wouldn't really know.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2010 10:40:37 PM

sparkman said:
Currently I have a 5770 and I plan to crossfire it. The thing is though is that my mobo has one x16 PCI-E slot and another x8 PCI-E slot, but the x8 slot is the size of a x16 slot. This can be seen here (in the orange slot the metal contacts only go to half). In that picture with the way the slots are separated can the eyefinity bridge stretch across that far?

I also plan to do eyefinity with three 24" 1080p monitors. So with crossfired 5770s can I get enough bandwidth of a total of x24 to have eyefinity and good graphics in games?

Yes, the board has four two-lane switches above the top slot the enable x8 on the bottom slot by stealing those lanes from the top. Your x8/x8 configuration will work fine, and the CROSSFIRE bridge included with many cards is made to stretch across up to three slots so you're fine.
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 5:27:12 AM

I haven't seen any comparisons of eyefinity on a system using two 8x slots as opposed to two 16x slots. Still, I assume that with eyefinity the amount of information being transferred across the PCI-E lots is increased (namely in the amount of increased pixles), and thus the number of lanes would greatly impact performance. You'll have to try it out and let us know what kind of increase you get from crossfire in that setup :D .
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 6:13:22 AM

megamanx00 said:
I haven't seen any comparisons of eyefinity on a system using two 8x slots as opposed to two 16x slots. Still, I assume that with eyefinity the amount of information being transferred across the PCI-E lots is increased (namely in the amount of increased pixles), and thus the number of lanes would greatly impact performance. You'll have to try it out and let us know what kind of increase you get from crossfire in that setup :D .

Graphics cards make pixels, his 5770 uses about the limit of PCIe 2.0 x8 bandwidth so it shouldn't hurt his performance too much.
April 11, 2010 1:48:34 PM

Best answer selected by sparkman.
!