Trouble with Case Leads

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I have just completed my first custom pc, but one of the case leads does not seem to work in any of the slots.

I am using an antec 900 two. It came with a power, reset, and hdd led lead in addition to a sata cable. Due to my motheroard beung full, I did not use the sata cable, but I connected the power and hdd led to a 9 prong connector labled as "Front panel connector" in the motherboard documentation

Right now it looks like this
. . . .
. . .
Where 1 is hdd led and 3 is power. I currently have the reset lead plugged into 2, but it does not seem to do anything. Am I right in assuming that the smaller button on the fron of the antec case is a reset button? if so, what am i doing wrong?

My motherboard is stock from an inspiron 546 (next upgrade) and I used this documentation http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp535mt/en/sm/techov.htm#wp1200202

Solution
It is very likely and it is not a requirement as you can always do a hard reboot by pressing & holdin the power button, if need be.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I don't understand your first point, your motherboard being full.

Anyway if that board is from an inspiron 546 then I can imagine dell made their own 9 pin connector with the power and led(s) pins.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but don't dell computers not come with a reset button? You're going to have to provide pictures of the board and manual.

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
By full, I simply meant it had no more open sata connectors. They are all in use.

As I said in the first post, it is a dell motherboard in an antec 900 two case. The original dell case did not have a reset button, but the new (antec) one does.

The only manual I have access to is the one I linked to.

tecmo34

Administrator
I agree with fastx21....

Take a closeup picture of the front panel connector on the motherboard and post the pic. Hopefully, we'll be able to tell from the pic what goes where, as the Dell manual does not go into details on how to connect them (why would they it is pre-built).

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I will be unable to post a picture for a while.

Is it possible that the motherboard has no reset plug since the original computer it was built for had no reset button?

Also, will just unplugging and not using the reset plug cause any issue? I dont think it is a feature I will use a lot.