Motherboard for Intel Core i5 750

lostb0y

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
hi there, am sort of a newbie here... i am planning to build a new pc for myself, primarily for gaming.

- I have decided to go for Intel's core i5 750 processor for my new pc. Have been in the search for a good motherboard for the same arounf $150. I have heard that Gigabyte's GA-P55M-UD2 is a reasonably priced, yet good mobo. Or should i go for ASUS P7P55D? Can anyone please advice me on this? I plan to overclock as well.

- I have been hearing about USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s standards lately. Is there any mobo which i can get around $150-$200 which supports the above?

- I am also wondering what sort of power supply and cabinet would I be needing since I plan to overclock.

- Also wondering which video card would be good around $150 range, one that would support HTPC

Thanks again :)

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The Gigabyte is a micro board so unless you need a small computer I would avoid it.
I went with a cheap mobo as I felt the USB3 and SATA 6 are nice but not essential, they are things I will look at in a few years. By not going for these features you can get a cheaper mobo (and possibly cheaper HDD?) which boosts your Graphics card budget. You have stated you want this machine for gaming, so ideally you don't want less than the 5850, your current budget allows for a 5770, which is a nice enough card but lacks real power for gaming especially as time moves forward, whereas the 5850 will last a good while.

As you have stated gaming is the main aim I would definately save by not looking for usb 3.0 etc and getting a better graphic card.

Power Supply I usually go for 750W as standard to leave room for upgrades and deterioration as the PSU gets older.

For overclocking any descent size case will usually do the job, it is the coolers you get that matter - the Hyper 212+ is hugely popular for OCing and is cheap ($30)

lostb0y

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
wow! am amazed by the speed of response... :) impressive, i must say!

Yes i know its a micro board, but i found it to be inside my budget. Can u suggest me any other mobo which would be good for me (I am under the impression Gigabyte/ASUS boards are better than MSI, ECS etc, is that a myth?)

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Here's one at newegg.com for $130 shipped after MIR. GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, check specs and see if this will do what you need.

^ +1 for the mobo above

lostb0y

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

yea thats more like what i was looking for! :)
I'm from India, so mobo's are priced a little more than what its in US. I need to find out from the local dealers what the price in India may be.

This mobo looks like it has got all that I am looking for. It would help if anyone owning this mobo wud give heir reviews...

Thank you janxta, niklas! :)

lostb0y

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3242&ProductName=GA-P55A-UD3

(Note the foll at the bottom of the Specs

Note * When SATA3 / USB 3.0 (Marvell 9128 /NEC USB 3.0 Controllers) work at turbo mode, 1st PCIE x16 will work at x8 speed.

)

kinda concerned :(

or must i just simply go for a cheaper mobo now (mayb MSI P55 CD3, which everyone is recommending me for being cheap) or MSI-P55-GD65? (Like i said, i am under the impression ASUS/Gigabyte is better than MSI)

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I use an MSI P55 CD53 and I have no issues. I think the GIgabyte is better for OCing if you want to push your hardware? Otherwise, the MSI board has an OC genie which is great - at the push of a button it OCs the system for you at a stable leel, great for inexperienced OCers, but not overly useful for experienced OCers as they can push the system harder than the OC genie will do