On board sound or PCI sound card?

shotosan

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Just built up a new Sandy Bridge system with an ASUS P9P657 Deluxe mother board and the Intel i7 2600K. I have an old PCI Sound (standard PCI not express) Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music (SB0460).

Should I just get rid of the old PCI SB X-FI or and use the on board sound? Or should I disable the Onboard sound and use the SB card?

Right now I mostly just using the sound through a set of Logictech 5.1 speakers, and maybe occasionally through a head set.

I'm looking for perspectives on 1) Sound quality. 2) System performance.

Welcome to the Forum!

First check out the quality of the on-board sound. In most cases, it is surprisingly good!

After building my system, I installed a Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card and realized that I didn't gain much by doing so. So I uninstalled the sound card, and am now using the on-board sound.

In either case, the system performance will not be noticeable.

Stay with the on-board sound.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

He is right.On board sound works,and works well in most motherboards.I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD9 and the onboard audio is "good".If you want "great" go with a soundcard.

shotosan

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
So far I've gone with just the on board sound. Although I seem to be having an issue with my motherboard configuration. Not sure if it's really anything to do with the on board sound but it locks up and I get this crazy loud Static-Of-Death emanating from the on board audio.

I do have the latest drivers and bios too.

Check it out on you tube here.

Tracking the problem in asus forum here.