Maximum physical distance between PC and Switch

The distance between My PC and etherent switch is 120 meter and i want to connect it, will it work as according to cat6 cable standard maximum distance is 100 meter .
6 answers Last reply
More about maximum physical distance switch
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Yea, you can connect it. But maybe you will have some attenuation and delay problems.
  2. Thanks for reply, i want to know this because i have no expreince of cabling and i need a solution for it.
  3. Install a bridge, this can extend the coverture of the network.
  4. saint19 said:
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Yea, you can connect it. But maybe you will have some attenuation and delay problems.

Thanks for reply.
    Do u have practicle experience of cabling, as i have read everywhere that cat6 cable has 100meter limit, i am in real trouble, my system is 110-120 meter away from switch and i can not install a switch and hub in between this segment. IF you think it is possible i will purchase cable for it. thnaks
  5. The limitation of 100 meter is more applicable to the CAT 5 or 5e, with the CAT6 CAT6e or CAT7 you can connect the PC an the switch without problems.
  6. You should be fine with that length. The 100 meter length was set for a "guaranteed" signal strength and data integrity. It doesn't mean at 100 meters the signal quits.
    The only way to be sure is to run it and see what happens.
Ask a new question

Read More

Switch Connection Cable Networking