Cannot disconnect mapped drive server 2008

Perfessor

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
System: Windows Server Standard 2008 R2 SP1
I do hourly backups on this member server from 5 shared network drives. Out of the 5, four show a red “X” indicating that it is not connected. One actually says “Disconnected Network Drive (drive letter:). However I can access any part of all the drives with no problem. And backups are being performed on them.
I have tried ‘net use \delete’ on the drive that says ‘disconnected’, trying to remap it with no success.
I even went into the registry to delete it from there with no luck.
Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get this server to read the drives properly?

robkeogh

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I also have the same problem from both the users TS sessions & the administrators console session. My mapped drive letters show as "Disconnected" in My Computer & if i try to remap the same drive letter it is missing from the pick list of available drive letters. It has happed to a couple of drive letters just lately & i am unable remove the disconected drive letters from the server. The users are unable to access the mapped drives in their TS sessions but if they log onto a laptop or pc they can & all is well. I currently have about 30 users being affected by this conundrum. It is primarily the Windows 2008 servers where the fault lies, my 2003 servers are ok. Any advise would be welcome & much appreciated.

Rob

troyboy14k

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Did someone run the the TS RootDrive Configuration on the system?
This creates the following files and maps whatever drive you choose for the RootDrive to the variables HOMEDRIVE\HOMEPATH.
TS RootDrive Config
--
Run chkroot.cmd from the C:\Windows\Application Compatibility Script folder. This creates the RootDrv2.cmd file.
In Notepad or another text editor, open the RootDrv2.cmd file from the C:\Windows\Application Compatibility Script folder. At the end of the file, on the Set RootDrive= line, add a drive letter. For example: Set RootDrive=W:. Then, save the RootDrv2.cmd file. This creates the chkroot.key file.
--
Fix to Remove RootDrive Conifg
subst <rootdrive value> //d
rename files below in C:\Windows\Application Compatibility Scripts so they don't process from c:\windows\system21\usrlogon.cmd
chkroot.key.old
RootDrv2.cmd.old
This was an issue on a TS server I took over.
For the life of me I couldn't figure out why users were getting another drive letter pointing to their AD profile homefolder drive, and when I logged in with my admin account locally I got the same drive letter mapped to my local profile.