Sign in with
Your question

Editing on a PC with Adobe Premiere

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2010 8:20:22 PM

I am buying a Sony HDR-HC1 High Def definition HD camcorder mini dv and wish to do editing on a PC with Adobe Premiere editing software.

My stepfather is building me a computer to accommodate the software, but was wondering if we may be overlooking something (he does have the specs for the software requirements).

Do we need to have two internal Hard drives? The speed of the ram, the amount of memory, what kind of processor (duo? quad?) etc.

Also, does Adobe Premiere work well with HD tapes. In other words when logging the tapes, will any quality be lost? I know that the Mac with Final Cut Pro is excellent, but until I can get funds for that system, I was wondering is building a PC is worth the time, effort and cost and will the technology last a while?

Thanks, friends.

Lise' from NYC

More about : editing adobe premiere

May 1, 2010 11:14:31 PM

Yeah, well ... Two questions, there ... What does DV-25 need and what does Premiere need.

Fact is ... Almost ANY build will edit with Premiere ... Certainly at SD rez ... And, you can skin this cat one of two ways.

(1) What is the fastest premier rig I can buy, for a given budget ... or ...

(2) How long am I willing to wait, and for what operations ? (How fast does it need to be?). ... (assuming a flexible budget).

... You can spend $600 or $12,675.23 ... But, with DV-25(SD), you are likely to come in at about $1400 (sans display), for a truly righteous rig.

If you have your heart set on ADOBE products, that's just fine by me but, there are lots of better/cheaper/faster products with much quicker learning curves that give excellent output at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not going to get into any of that, unless YOU really want to.

Yes, you want two drives ... not just ANY drives, either ...

Boot/System/Apps: Either an INTEL X25-M/G2 80GB SSD ~$250 ... or ... Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200RPM ... or ... SEAGATE 7200.12 500GB drive (HDDs are ~$55).

Media Content Ingest/Streaming/Render/Archive Drive: Just one of two drives would be entirely appropriate ... Either Spinpoint F3 1TB ... or ... Seagate 7200.12 1TB ($89)

RAM: 4GB of generic 1333c9 RAM would do ... but ... 8GB of 1600c7 would be great.

CPU: ... At least 4 Cores running at (at least) 3.0GHz

GPU: Just ONE 9800GT-EE (must be "EE" model !!! ) ... Only from Tiger .. not at newegg.

I might post links, for you, if you seem interested in this build.

= Alvin =
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2010 4:17:22 PM

Thanks Alvin, you rock.
m
l
!