Sign in with
Your question

New Computer

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2010 9:02:20 PM

Hello,

I'm primarily a graphic artist, doing pre-press design, but I have a Canon GL1, and Premier (lower version, will upgrade soon) and am thinking about getting a new computer. I HATE the idea of buying a box computer and having to chuck the memory to up everything, so I've done a little research (not understanding at least half of what I read, mind you) and put together what I think will be a system that will really work well with my graphic arts, and not leave me beating my head when I play with videos of my horses.

My biggest question, is will all of the individual parts I've narrowed it down to work with each other (this will be my first computer build, although I've augmented mine in the past).

I'll be getting Windows 7 Pro, and we'll be upgrading to CS5 this summer. I'm either going to ask the boss if I can make up the difference to upgrade to the EVERYTHING CS package, or will upgrade Premier too. I will be going with 64 bit.

Looking at :
Intel i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66 GX quad
EVGA E758-A1 3-way SLI 1366 Intel X58 ATX
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650w PSU
EVGA 512-P3-n871-AR GeForce 9800 512mb PCI express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI video card

A WD VelociRaptor 150 GB 10,000 RMP for my program drive, and am working on choosing 2 more hard drives, probably 2T 7200.

I know the MB has one SATA RAID slot, but I know nothing about raid, could use some instructions on how that works, to determine if I should work towards that.

Will these components all play together???

Picked a big case: Cooler Master CM690, sounds like it will hold everything and more and run cool enough. I don't game, so I don't think I'll need more cooling, is that correct?

One last question, the hard drives come "bare" what cables do I need to order to go with them? Are they different to set up RAID?

Thanks. I'm sure your answers will generate more questions, hope you don't mind. I've enjoyed reading the threads I have so far, hoping as I go they will make even more sense to me <G>

Daria

More about : computer

May 1, 2010 9:42:31 PM

get i7 930 it is a updated version of 920. i would upgrade power supply and get a fermi. Its better than the geforce 9800. we also need to know budget and stuff like that. use the sticky
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2010 9:47:15 PM

raid is not so difficult one should just connect two drives( cables ussually come with the MB). Then set the bios to raid. I do not reccomend raptors as they are very pricey. I would just take fast drives in raid and if there is room in the budget an ssd for the OS. And cooling has nothing to do with wether your a gamer or not. You can still OC a lot thus want good cooling and not be a gamer. I would'nt take that mobo though it's good for 3way sli which I presume isn't on your mind and extreme OCing and likewise presumebly isn't on your mind. It's better to take the cheaper asus p6x58d-e or GA-x58a-ud3r since they come with usb3.0 and sata 6gb/s.
m
l
May 2, 2010 4:34:42 PM

yeah but he says he want to take 2 2tb barracudas anyways so in that case it would be free.
m
l
May 2, 2010 4:58:15 PM

well yea if you use it as storage don't raid(not 0 at least) but if that is your primary drive I stick with my opnion RAID(it theoretically doubles speed, physically aswell but this difference is not worth it for storage)!!
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:21:20 PM

Thanks guys for your reply. I wouldn't have know the raptor was an older drive, and will check out the samsung one. Will skip RAID for now, that's good as I don't know what I'm doing there anyway. Thanks for the suggestion about the Fermi, that adds around $70 to the budget, so I'll have to do some comparisons. The budget BYW, is "what it takes" without going way over what I need. IOW, it's flexible to around $2,000, but I'd rather be spending $1,000 <G>. I want to get what I need to keep me happy for a while (my current computer has been serving me well for about 8 years, and was top of the line for doing graphic arts at the time).

For this system, with the move up to i7-930, how much upgrading should I do to the power source?

Daria
m
l
May 9, 2010 3:49:41 PM

the 930 is essantially the same as the 920 so if you between switching between those to the psu should be the same. If you take a fermi card though you would need a 750watt.
m
l
May 9, 2010 5:19:57 PM

Hi all,

Based on your comments, I just ordered my components from newegg.com.

I decided on 3 of the Samsung F3 1T drives, they come "bare". Can you please advise me as to what cables I need to order to hook them up??? Thanks!

Daria
m
l
May 16, 2010 12:42:10 PM

Thanks! Got all my parts in boxes! Now comes the "interesting" part - putting it together!!!

Daria
m
l
!