ASUS only recognize 4GB RAM instead of 6

Hints

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Someone please help.

I just bought a new mobo: asus p6x58d premium, with Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1600C8).

However, only 4 gb can be recognized instead of 6.

I have tried to swap each of them in different slot but the middle blue slot , DIMM_B1, doesn't work no matter the configuration.

I checked some forum some guys have same issue, which turn on to be :
'Hi, yes I did! It had nothing to do with the bios, the problem only occures with large heavy CPU coolers that have its back plate fit over the motherboards back plate. four nylon and/or rubber washers on the posts coming thru the motherboard solved the problem.'
(http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=469282)

I tried (even take the fan off) as well but still no luck, the DRAM_LED keeps flashing.

Please help.

From: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-guide-read-first
Credit goes to: bilbat

================================
i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory
If you have 'X' amount of memory installed, and either the BIOS, or Windoze is only showing 'Y' amount available, the very first thing to do is: pull your CPU, get a flashlight & magnifying glass, and check your socket for bent or distorted pins:
bentpinsall.jpg

Nineteen times out of twenty, you will find 'em! Excellent pictorial guide to installation/examination from Intel.
...if the pins are not too badly mangled, they can often be 'teased' back into place, using:
a jeweler's tweezer (most large hobby shops)
a jeweler's screwdriver (any dollar store)
a dental pick/tool (often found at dollar stores or hardware store counters)
or
a 'pin-vise' with a sewing needle mounted in it (a 'pin-vise' is a little thing the size and shape of a kid's crayon, that has a tiny chuck at one end, much like a drill chuck - they are used to drill ultra-fine holes in small work, and can be found, again, at any large hobby-shop or hardware store...)
...just takes a steady hand, and a bunch of patience [:bilbat]

Hints

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks mate. It works ;) :D

Furthermore, I have to adjust position of one fan on my cooler. It sounds weird but before changed the ram is 4GB and works fine afterwards

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006

I believe they were in the right area with the HS with a back plate but not the reason why. I have seen it as an all too common problem with mostly washer modded TRUE's but not only that setup. I even had it happen to me even tho I only have 3gb after a TIM change I only had 1 show up. To fix the problem all that was needed was a remount of my TRUE. After that I went and bought the new style mount since it seems easier to get a good mount with. I think the problem was I got my mount off center and with the new system it is easier to get it centered.

I would guess that a remount would probably solve your problem.

As for as weight goes I really doubt that since on my last remount I forgot to put my little helper wire on my TRUE and had no problems for the week or so that it was missing and I believe it is about the heaviest sink out there at 4lbs.

Here is the way I normally have it setup with the wire.

TRUESan.jpg

And the way I ran it for about a week without.

casexb.jpg