Sign in with
Your question

Wich sata port for my HHD ?

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2012 3:53:26 PM

Got a p9z88 - WS anf I have all sort of problem, I suspect it might be my HHD.

I have 8 sata port I'll list the name wrote on the board and the ones on the manual

On the board it is:

sata6g_E1
sata6g_E2 (these 2 are navy blue)

sata6g_1
sata6g_2 these 2 are gray

sata3g_3
sata3g_4
sata3g_5
satag3g_6 these 4 are blue

Name on the manual

Marvell Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (7-pin sata6g_E1/E2)

Intel z77 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (7-pin sata6g_1/2)

Intel Z77 Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (7-pin sata6g_3-6)

When I have first instaled windows the HHD was in the sata6g_E1 port but it couldn't wright anything on the drive so I went for the sata3g_3 port.

But everything seem slow for the power of my computers here is my spec:

i5-3570k
670gtx SLI
16G.RAM 1600Hz (running to 1333Hz ATM)
Seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
PSU 1200w corsair
mobo: Asus p8z77-WS
OS: Windoes vista 32bit (waiting for windows8 to upgrade).

More about : wich sata port hhd

June 13, 2012 4:22:53 PM

Well, E1 and E2 are not Intel controlled ports, so you'll need specific drivers for those, they are really just extras offered on your mobo, avoid them if you can. SATA 1 and 2 are 6GBb/s (SATA 3) and 3-6 should be 3Gb/s (SATA 2). With a 7200RPM HDD you really won't notice too much of a difference between those two standards but I'd recommend putting your drive into SATA 1 or 2 anyway. And also, is your drive actually SATA 3 compliant? A lot of drives are still only SATA 2.
June 13, 2012 4:30:40 PM

Boomer83 said:
And also, is your drive actually SATA 3 compliant? A lot of drives are still only SATA 2.

I have no idea about that. How can I look ?
Related resources
June 13, 2012 4:36:42 PM

Wherever you bought it from should have it on the spec sheet. Or you could look up your exact model number on Seagate's website. If you really want to have top notch speeds, however, you're going to have to look into SSDs. A standard HDD isn't going to cripplingly bottleneck your system in any way, but a SSD would certainly pair well with the rest of your high end components.
a c 351 G Storage
June 13, 2012 5:10:11 PM

1) Your marvel controller may be disabled by default and you would have had to go into bios to enable it - NOT sure, but you should check, if not using it and it is enabled then disable it until need - You probably will not need as you have plenty of Intel based sata ports. I know windows 7 has native support for Marvel controller, not sure if vista does, if not you would have to use the "F6" load additional drive during vista install.

2) Have a feeling you did not go into bios and verify/set intel controllers to AHCI and here again not knowing the default it may be set to IDE which would decrease the performance of your HDD. Also, downstream if you decide on getting an SSD if in IDE mode You will need to change to AHCI and if HDD was set up with ide mode, again headache.
.. Check your bios, if in ide mode, need to correct. DO NOT simple change it, as you will NOT beable to boot to windows. - Somewhat easy:
FOR Windows 7 but should be the same for Vista. Quote
1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
end quote:
added - Reboot and go into bios and change to ahci.

On windows 8.
.. Some think it's the best thing since sliced Bread - NOT SO SURE, tried it and deleted it from system and threw disk in trash!!
It looks like a great operating system for tablets as an alternate to apple.
The feedback that i'm seeing is that "corporate" buyers do NOT like and probably will not switch over to.

Bottom line here is wait untill you see a Windows 7 edition with FREE upgrade to windows 8.
NEVER buy a New OS untill it's been out for 3 -> 6 monthes (Do NOT go by RC beta versions)
!