Help me stop a friend from buying a prebuilt Sempron Budget 350-400

lostpike

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:Within the month BUDGET RANGE: 350-400 Before / After Rebates BEFORE

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies) Will be playing WOW and doing his homwork

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Any though he really just wants a prebuiilt system as he is lazy but I am trying to talk him into building his own.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: any

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: UNKNOWN

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: So my friend needs a new computer to play wow on. He really just wants to get a prebuilt one buy I am trying to sell him on buildnig it and/or not buying a sempron. Having trouble explaining to him how horrible this is compared to what he could have.

-OS will be needed. He is a student and can get Win 7 for $65 I think.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well,

Folks like your friend are the reason Darwin's theories seem so viable.

... You would be lookin' at a micro-ATX HTPC build, most likely.

... Just ask your freind if they think the scrambled eggs, at McDonalds, are "just eggs".

... I'll make my own ... thanks.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
rsmith13 is right, the new graphics in Cataclysm will require more power then WotLK. Even with a HD5770 the OPs friend wouldn't be able to run Ultra high settings over 1680X1050. Here's some benchmarks to look through.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid [...] /Practice/

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid [...] /Practice/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2848/7

a bit dated, but they should help. Remember the next expansion of WoW will push the requirements even harder.

The AMD 870 with the SB850 are out now and may save a few bucks.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?nam [...] 182b0d2b83

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

$24.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$54.99

POWERCOLOR AX5770 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

$139.99

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9DHX

$94.99

Rosewill RV2-600 600 W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$84.98

GIGABYTE GA-785GMT-USB3 AM3 AMD 785G USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor Model ADX440WFGIBOX

$149.99

TOTAL : 550.00 USD

This setup will play the majority of modern games on mid to high settings. I don't like Rosewill, but I picked it to get close to budget. This PC would literally kick the ass out of WoW. Its has a high clocked triple core processor and a 5770 graphics card. Just search for these items at Newegg.com and you can add them to your cart.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

First time I ever heard ANYone say ANYthing like that. ... Now ... Most places that sell LCDs, tho, have a dead-pixel policy, for-instance ... So, you need to know what it is that you are ordering and if you are "dissatisfied", well, ... that does not count as a "bad part".

... Those who pay the restock thought the fan was too noisy or that a display was not up to their personal standards ... Those folks should review the item locally, and then purchase from newegg.

My main point is ... I do not know of a vendor who will treat me any better than newegg, regardless of the issue ... name one ... As Online suppliers go (historically, at least), you can not do any better anywhere. ...

Yeah ... I suppose you COULD call me a fan-boy ... but they earned it, over more than a decade (it sure seems) ... But if some new management team should ever decide to cash in on that brand and start screwing customers, ... I'll be gone before nightfall.

= Al =

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
See like me, I know my dad actually received a bad stick of memory and had to like a 15% restock fee or something to that effect. And dad's not dumb about those things, he and I used to build pc's together when I was younger, and he's got smeone he knows who's done tech work for years. I've seen the same thing mentioned in their reviews.

Personally with tiger, I actually had a mobo go bad just outside the 30 day return period, and they swapped it for a better one for nothing.

Totally agree with you about fans and what not, lcd's, agreed you can understand to a point.....but still don't know about the is it 8 dead pixel policy? I am actually trying to start a computer repair business, I'll probably keep an eye on newegg because they have good prices, and hopefully their customer service does not continue at that, but if those things are true, I don't see myself buying as much from them...

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well ... ther HAVE been some recent changes to the site that I do not like ...

... hiding the real price behind mail in rebates so that you don't realize 'till it is in your cart, and acting like some crappy game title constitutes a $50 combo discount, when bundled w/mobo and RAM, etc ... I see these practices as "willful deception".

Seems like some A-holes have taken over marketing and site design ...

I do make a point to link over to the "Shell Shockers", almost daily ... Those seem to be getting very lame, just lately, as well.

= Al =

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Personally, I've bought things from newegg and had good luck. But I've also dealt a lot with tigerdirect and can say I've always been treated more than fairly. Another place to check out is 3btech.net Personally I've never used them, but a personal friend of mine said they are great to deal with and that they stand behind their stuff. But hopefully if the things about newegg are true they will correct them.