10.2 or 10.3? which to use for 2x5970

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,
im trying to decide which version of catalyst to load. It seems thhat, by what im reading that 10.2 with the 9.12 hotfix DOES have support for cfx and eyefinity..is that the case?

Woulnd't that mean that 10.3 does as well...I mean is it safe to assume that 10.3 contains all of what enhancements and changes were in 10.2 ? or am i mistaken? like as the versions get higher or improve..its all the fixes of the previous with new stuff added?

just seems that i had better luck with 10.2 vs 10.3...

I AM running eyefinity and cfx..so wouldnt 10.2 with the 9.12 be the way for me to go?

im confused and kinda frustrated with this..should I be?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Welcome to the club!

I think I warned you about this (quadfire+Eyefinity issues) in a previous thread. Also, how do install Cat 10.2 WITH the 9.12 Hotfix? I thought it was ONE or the OTHER.

My understanding is as follows:

1. 9.12 Hotfix had support for crossfire/trifire+Eyefinity only. NOT quadfire. Cat 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 have the same support.

2. numerous enquiries to AMD tech support resulted in the usual "we are working on resolving the issue in a future driver update" spool.

3. articles have suggested a crossfire connector bandwidth issue.

4. members have suggested a VRAM issue.

IMO Cat 10.3 WHQL seems to be the "best" driver at the moment. Also, it has bezel management, per display settings.

My suggestion is to:

1. wait for future driver releases. dont hold your breath. I cant see this being resolved in a hurry.

2. either quadfire+single screen OR single card+Eyefinity.

3. downgrade to a pair of 5870s. there seems to be LESS issues.

4. get the 4Gb 5970.

It sucks and its frustrating, BUT what can you do?

notty22

Distinguished

:)
You definitely want to install the newest driver you can. So 10.3. The new drivers always include 'fixes' from past drive releases.
I know you see in these forums , 'try a older driver'.......... Occasionally , especially with older hardware say the 4 series now that ATI's current new hardware is the 5 series, they break something in a new driver release. Some feature gets overlooked in lower priority areas. But the 5970 , eyefinity , crossfire in the 5 series cards, their functionality is the major focus for these new releases, and your always going to be better off with the newest release.
IMO