ru2slo

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I about to piece together my new system and am considering purchasing the Seagate Barracuda 1tb/7200. Now I read that people are having issues when installing the HD on a new system using Win7 [which is the route I would like to head], stating that the HD is not recognized when installing. To remedy this they are first installing win xp which does recognize the HD and then upgrading to win7. I would not have an issue doing this, however I lost my CD and am stuck. I found a friend who will sell me a copy of his cd with key for about $20, for a temp install then Upgrade that with my purchased win7. What would any of you more experienced problem solvers recommend? Am I getting ripped off by purchasing a temp copy of winxp? Or is that my only alternative?

Thanks in advanced.

ru2slo

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Sorry for the confusion. here's a re-post.

I about to piece together my new system and am considering purchasing the Seagate Barracuda 1tb/7200. Now I read that people are having issues when installing the HD on a new system using Win7 [which is the route I would like to head], stating that the HD is not recognized when installing. To remedy this they are first installing win xp which does recognize the HD and then upgrading to win7. I would not have an issue doing this, however I lost my winxp CD and am stuck. I found a friend who will sell me a copy of his winxp cd with key for about $20, for a temp install then Upgrade that with my purchased win7. What would any of you more experienced problem solvers recommend? Am I getting ripped off by purchasing a temp copy of winxp? Or is that my only alternative?

Thanks in advanced.