Lost Admin Password

My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field. The
first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with him.
Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about relaoding
XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about lost admin password

    If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    ctrl-alt-delete
    twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank and
    press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    doesn't likely have one either,

    If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will have
    to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. Again,
    the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe mode, type
    administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.

    This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select the
    specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the password
    it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking "Prevent a
    Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field. The
    > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    > him.
    > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    > relaoding
    > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Thanks for the hint, but it seems there is a mystery password, and the system
    won't allow me past the admin login either. Any other suggestions?

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    > ctrl-alt-delete
    > twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank and
    > press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    > during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    > doesn't likely have one either,
    >
    > If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    > Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will have
    > to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. Again,
    > the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe mode, type
    > administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.
    >
    > This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select the
    > specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the password
    > it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking "Prevent a
    > Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field. The
    > > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    > > him.
    > > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    > > relaoding
    > > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Apparently, they established a password for the hidden account, the only
    thing you can do is format and start over. Formatting can be done from XP
    Setup as follows:
    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
    screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

    After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
    the following:

    To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
    To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    In your case, press ENTER.

    Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

    You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

    To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press ESC.

    This will bring you to a partition map where you
    can delete, create and format partitions.
    Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
    partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

    Other than that there's no way in unless you can crack the password. There
    are utilities on the Internet, you might run a search on www.google.com and
    see what comes up.

    --

    > Thanks for the hint, but it seems there is a mystery password, and the
    > system
    > won't allow me past the admin login either. Any other suggestions?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >

    >> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    >> ctrl-alt-delete
    >> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    >> and
    >> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    >> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    >> doesn't likely have one either,
    >>
    >> If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    >> Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will
    >> have
    >> to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. Again,
    >> the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe mode, type
    >> administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.
    >>
    >> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    >> the
    >> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    >> password
    >> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking
    >> "Prevent a
    >> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field.
    >> > The
    >> > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    >> > him.
    >> > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    >> > relaoding
    >> > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

    Start here:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field. The
    > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    > him.
    > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    > relaoding
    > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Can't say as I've had to use them but here are a couple of sites
    that come recommended by the people who visit these newsgroups.

    Keep in mind that if any of the files on the system were
    encrypted and you change the password they'll be lost for good.

    http://xpcracker.mine.nu/xpcracker/
    --
    Nepatsfan
    "barefootmark" <barefootmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > Thanks for the hint, but it seems there is a mystery password,
    > and the system
    > won't allow me past the admin login either. Any other
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >

    >> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    >> ctrl-alt-delete
    >> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the
    >> password blank and
    >> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this
    >> hidden account
    >> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP
    >> pre-installed it
    >> doesn't likely have one either,
    >>
    >> If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test
    >> and before
    >> Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it
    >> and will have
    >> to try again). You'll have an option to log on as
    >> Administrator. Again,
    >> the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe
    >> mode, type
    >> administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.
    >>
    >> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user
    >> accounts, select the
    >> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed
    >> the password
    >> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by
    >> clicking "Prevent a
    >> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote in message
    >> > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the
    >> > field. The
    >> > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password
    >> > died with
    >> > him.
    >> > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What
    >> > about
    >> > relaoding
    >> > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    at what point during the installation do we do partition if we want to have
    more than 1 partitions? do we do it after the installation of the OS. Pls
    advice, many thanks Sorry to jump in to a different topic, tks

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    > ctrl-alt-delete
    > twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank and
    > press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    > during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    > doesn't likely have one either,
    >
    > If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    > Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will have
    > to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. Again,
    > the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe mode, type
    > administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.
    >
    > This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select the
    > specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the password
    > it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking "Prevent a
    > Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field. The
    > > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    > > him.
    > > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    > > relaoding
    > > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Below are complete instructions as well as at what point during setup you
    would partition the drive and how to get to that option during setup:

    "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > at what point during the installation do we do partition if we want to
    > have
    > more than 1 partitions? do we do it after the installation of the OS. Pls
    > advice, many thanks Sorry to jump in to a different topic, tks
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >

    >> If you have XP Pro on your computer, at the log in screen type
    >> ctrl-alt-delete
    >> twice. In the user account type administrator, leave the password blank
    >> and
    >> press enter. You likely didn't create a password for this hidden account
    >> during setup and if the computer was purchased with XP pre-installed it
    >> doesn't likely have one either,
    >>
    >> If you have Home, boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test and before
    >> Windows starts. Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will
    >> have
    >> to try again). You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. Again,
    >> the same procedure, you'll be asked to log in to get into safe mode, type
    >> administrator, leave the password blank and press enter.
    >>
    >> This will get you in. Then go to Control Panel, user accounts, select
    >> the
    >> specific user and select change password. Once you've changed the
    >> password
    >> it would be advisable to create a Password Reset Disk by clicking
    >> "Prevent a
    >> Forgotten Password" link in the left pane.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Barefoot Mark" <Barefoot Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > My work has a PC running WinXP that they use for work in the field.
    >> > The
    >> > first person to use is actually died, and the admin password died with
    >> > him.
    >> > Is there a way to restore or recreate a new password? What about
    >> > relaoding
    >> > XP? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP