Sign in with
Your question

Reducing Windows Folder Size?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2011 4:32:47 AM

I'm sure this is a question that is asked a lot, but I haven't really found an answer.

My Windows folder is currently 16.8GB. This wouldn't normally bother me, but I do have an 80GB SSD, which makes things quite annoying.

Of course, I wouldn't ever edit anything in this folder because I don't want to screw anything up...but is there anything I can do? I just have a feeling that the folder is full of old files or backups that I no longer need. Can anyone help? If there's any information I can provide, please let me know.

Not sure this would be of any help, but are the main components of my system:

Intel 2500k CPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
XFX Radeon HD6950
Gigabyte P67A UD3 B3 Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 4:54:29 AM

Its SSD, so u didn't set the hibernation, did u? It would also take 8GB.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2011 3:05:31 PM

I have disabled hibernation, but left the page file untouched after reading mixed opinions about changing it with an SSD in the system.

I'm just confused as to why the Windows folder would be over 20% of my entire SSD. Surely that has to be comprised of a lot of stuff I don't need anymore?
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 3:11:15 PM

Windows 7 is pretty big. Check the temp directories.

You can also reduce the size of the recycle bin and the restore points to free up some space.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 5:42:53 PM

poguesquadron said:
I have disabled hibernation, but left the page file untouched after reading mixed opinions about changing it with an SSD in the system.

I'm just confused as to why the Windows folder would be over 20% of my entire SSD. Surely that has to be comprised of a lot of stuff I don't need anymore?

Well, post the size taken on the drive and windows version, x64 or x32bit?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 5:46:30 PM

Cleanup the Services Pack Backup

First go to Start (type) > “Disk Cleanup”
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 5:49:23 PM

Reduce the size for system restore, but on the SSD u should have it disabled.
m
l
October 26, 2011 6:13:13 PM

I'm running Home Premium 64bit.

I had already deleted service pack backups. I also tried deleting any old System Restore backups, but I did that a few months ago. No change in space.

Just as a point of reference, this is what I'm looking at right now.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 6:15:07 PM

Did u turn off the sys. restore? Could save another few gigs.
m
l
October 26, 2011 6:36:55 PM

I had disabled System Restore a while ago.

I've read different things about the page file size regarding SSDs...some say that it isn't really necessary if you have a lot of RAM, while others say that it IS necessary because the SSD can access it quickly and take advantage of it.

Is there a danger in disabling it, especially if I'm doing some heavy Photoshop work?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 6:50:36 PM

poguesquadron said:
I had disabled System Restore a while ago.

I've read different things about the page file size regarding SSDs...some say that it isn't really necessary if you have a lot of RAM, while others say that it IS necessary because the SSD can access it quickly and take advantage of it.

Is there a danger in disabling it, especially if I'm doing some heavy Photoshop work?

OK, what do u do with the PC? Hard core editing and gaming? Windows like the page , but can run without that. 5 GB is enough for most people no matter what they do.

Photoshop cares about the scratch and RAM, page is secondary.

U can always increase the page later if some issue will surface.

Read here http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/7.html

Post spec about your PC, run Belarc auditor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and post the log so we can see the stuff that is on your PC.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 7:29:18 PM

What SSD make and model?
Does your ssd support Trim?
Toolboxes and optimizers are available from the makers website
Turn off Superfetch
Turn off search and indexing
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:15:19 PM

poguesquadron said:
I'm sure this is a question that is asked a lot, but I haven't really found an answer.

My Windows folder is currently 16.8GB. This wouldn't normally bother me, but I do have an 80GB SSD, which makes things quite annoying.

Of course, I wouldn't ever edit anything in this folder because I don't want to screw anything up...but is there anything I can do? I just have a feeling that the folder is full of old files or backups that I no longer need. Can anyone help? If there's any information I can provide, please let me know.

Not sure this would be of any help, but are the main components of my system:

Intel 2500k CPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
XFX Radeon HD6950
Gigabyte P67A UD3 B3 Motherboard

I personally prefer the Folder Size freeware as it provides immediate report for Largest Files and Largest Folders:

m
l
!