Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Upgrade Help

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2012 5:39:19 PM

Hello, I am thinking about upgrading my Hard Drive to an SSD but I have a problem, I want to buy a 64GB SSD to put Windows on so my boot time is better but I have over 160GB's of data on my current Hard Drive so I was wondering how would I transfer only my OS and maybe a couple games but leave everything else on my Hard Drive? And another thing is that how would I transfer my files? I know that you can buy upgrade kits but the Vertex 3 SSD that I want to get doesn't come with an upgrade kit... What do I do?

More about : ssd upgrade

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 13, 2012 5:57:55 PM

No. You can't just pick and choose what gets moved because you're OS will have references to applications on the C-drive that are no longer there. These references are all over the registry and in other config files as part of the OS.

The easiest way to do this would be to save your data/media (music, video, documents, saved games) files off to an external device, uninstall your apps, clone your HDD to the new SSD (since it should include only your OS at that point), make sure you can boot to the new SSD, format your old HDD, then reinstall your apps to the HDD.
June 13, 2012 6:09:19 PM

ubercake said:
No. You can't just pick and choose what gets moved because you're OS will have references to applications on the C-drive that are no longer there. These references are all over the registry and in other config files as part of the OS.

The easiest way to do this would be to save your data/media (music, video, documents, saved games) files off to an external device, uninstall your apps, clone your HDD to the new SSD (since it should include only your OS at that point), make sure you can boot to the new SSD, format your old HDD, then reinstall your apps to the HDD.

how would I clone it to the SSD?
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 6:57:35 PM

Best answer selected by coper210.
m
l
!