Networked Hard Disk Drive recovery

NZFinn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hi, after many hours searching various forums and sites I have not been able to find a solution to my problem.

I have a external drive which was connected to my laptop as a seperate network which suddenlt stopped working, no power to the unit. I have removed the drive and have it connected via USB.

My laptop (running windows 7) recognises the drive in the Computer Manager but doesn't show up in My Computer. It has four seperate partitions which I need to recover. If I right click, all the options have been greyed out except for delete volume, which I would rather not do :)

So what am I missing? How do I get my laptop to recognise this drive/partitions so I can get the data back?

Thanks all.

Gareth

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You may try something like Hiren's disk /which is a nice collection of free utils within a boot environment, regularly updated and don't mention the site :)/.
Also you may try opening the case of the disk and putting the HDD as internal in some desktop PC if you have access to...
Just some suggestions about possible things you may do, surely there are many more, probably even better. Anyway better than losing your data...

NZFinn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

I can't do this as the option is greyed out.

NZFinn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Does the Disk management show it as a healthy RAW partition? If yes, you may try to use R-Undelete. Its on-line help will show how to get your files back: Recover Lost Files from Deleted/Corrupted Logical Disks/Partitions.
R-Undelete is a pay program but it allows you to estimate whether you can recover your files before buying it.

Thanks, have downloaded the demo and it has found the drive straight away and can recover the files. Will now get the full version. $55 is a small price to pay for my own stupidity :)