Sign in with
Your question

Crucial M4 not dectected in Win7 installer but is in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2012 7:46:09 PM

I have tried using different SATA ports both 6 gb/s and 3 gb/s and different cables

I have tried IDE, RAID and AHCI and still no luck

I am using a usb stick with Windows 7 SP1

Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H not Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

I even updated the fireware from to 00f to 00f (i know that sounds like i am an idiot) and it worked so ssd is working partly.

Please help

note: i have been using linux puppy (booted from a usb) and everything appears to be working hardware wise.
June 13, 2012 7:54:09 PM

Do you have another hard drive installed in this system that has an OS on it? If so, unplug it, or disable its SATA port. Windows gets confused if you have an active drive with Windows on it, and you are looking to add Windows to a new blank drive, and one of those effects is that the Windows installer might not see the SSD.
June 13, 2012 7:56:56 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Do you have another hard drive installed in this system that has an OS on it? If so, unplug it, or disable its SATA port. Windows gets confused if you have an active drive with Windows on it, and you are looking to add Windows to a new blank drive, and one of those effects is that the Windows installer might not see the SSD.

I only have the crucial m4 128gb and here are the rest of the parts

Corsair Carbide 500R White Case
Corsair AX 650W
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz
Corsair H80
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB GDDR5

this is a new first time build
Related resources
June 13, 2012 7:58:51 PM

Hmm, do you have a Windows 7 DVD, and a DVD drive, it could be that there is a problem with your USB copy off the OS.
June 13, 2012 8:02:27 PM

This was a DVD copy but because it kept asking for drivers to load i had to put it on usb to even get to the select drive part, this is making me go insane :fou: 
June 13, 2012 8:04:35 PM

In what mode did you set your storage controller when it was it asking for drivers from the DVD? If you set your BIOS to RAID mode, then yes it would need you to install RAID drivers before you load the OS, but it shouldn't do that in IDE or AHCI mode.

June 13, 2012 8:06:40 PM

Supernova1138 said:
In what mode did you set your storage controller when it was it asking for drivers from the DVD? If you set your BIOS to RAID mode, then yes it would need you to install RAID drivers before you load the OS, but it shouldn't do that in IDE or AHCI mode.

Theo mobo is AHCI by default so i tried that firstly then IDE and then RAID still no luck
June 13, 2012 8:09:10 PM

Okay, so the installer isn't picking up a drive at all. Like, can you advance at all from the select disk screen. It could be it's not going to display the drive as there are no other storage devices on this system, and you just have to click through and let it format the drive.
June 13, 2012 8:12:26 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Okay, so the installer isn't picking up a drive at all. Like, can you advance at all from the select disk screen. It could be it's not going to display the drive as there are no other storage devices on this system, and you just have to click through and let it format the drive.

There are no drives found to format so i can't advance from the select disk screen
June 13, 2012 8:17:39 PM

Hmm, well, I've got nothing I'm afraid. It could be you have a bad drive, it works enough to be seen in BIOS and Linux, but there is something wrong with it that prevents Windows from seeing it and formatting it. You could have a bad Windows 7 disk. If you have another computer, you can try popping in the SSD, disable all the other drives, and see if your Windows DVD will recognize it then. If it can, you might have a motherboard issue.
June 13, 2012 8:20:08 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Hmm, well, I've got nothing I'm afraid. It could be you have a bad drive, it works enough to be seen in BIOS and Linux, but there is something wrong with it that prevents Windows from seeing it and formatting it. You could have a bad Windows 7 disk. If you have another computer, you can try popping in the SSD, disable all the other drives, and see if your Windows DVD will recognize it then. If it can, you might have a motherboard issue.

Linux was run off a usb and copied to the ram i think, i will have to try that, thank you anyway for trying i really am grateful
!