Sign in with
Your question

Is my new hard drive DOA?

Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2012 9:58:35 PM

Basically I just bought a new hard-drive Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000 HDS721010KLA330 from cclonline, with the purpose to use it as a standard storage drive as I only currently use an old IDE Maxtor 80gb. When I boot up it hangs on a black screen with the cursor blinking for around 30 seconds, then the motherboard splash screen comes on with no ability to function, meanwhile the hard-drive is making a somewhat unusual noise. It then moves on to a screen i've never seen before and then when prompted to resume, a screen that says 'wait'... // the other hardware in my computer is

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor
ASUS EAH6850 Graphics card - 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM
2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM 240-pin 1600MHz CL9 XMP
NZXT Source 210 Elite White Gaming Chassis
XFX PRO550W PSU Core Edition PSU (Bronze Certified 80+)
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D 1000GB (7200rpm) SATA 32MB HDD
Asus DRW-24B5ST 24X DVD Writer
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Adaptor

I made a little video to try and help demonstrate the problem that i'm having currently. Once I remove the drive, I can enter bios and mess around with it, but once I insert the drive, it generally freezes and becomes unresponsive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=574H1Oizvh0

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

More about : hard drive doa

a b G Storage
June 13, 2012 11:32:06 PM

I was unable to watch the video it says "a error has occurred please try later." However the error you have described is typical for a faulty hard drive. The problem could also be caused by a faulty SATA interface or dodgy power supply and if at all possible you should try the drive on another computer or on a USB adapter.
June 14, 2012 12:31:17 AM

If the HDD is clicking, or scratching, then it's bad. Can you get into the BIOS to check out your settings?
Related resources
a c 87 G Storage
June 14, 2012 12:46:54 AM

In order to test a hard drive to see if it's DOA I suggest the following method:

Take the hard drive out, unplug the power and data cables. Throw the hard drive out through the window and go pick it up. Plug it back in. If it works, it's not dead. If it doesn't work it needed fixing anyway.

Never trust a computer that you cant throw out of a window.

On a serious note, yes your HDD is dead and needs to be replaced
a b G Storage
June 14, 2012 1:25:42 AM

The videos working now, a problem with YouTube, The drive is probably dead but you should check it in another computer if possible.
!