The sequel to Fermi or the GTX 580?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gtx-480-gtx-470-gf100-fermi-hotness,10061.html

I was reading the above article "GeForce GTX 480 Was Designed to Run Hot."

What happened to shrinking for efficiency with less wattage usage, less heat, less inconvenience for the main customers - the gamers. It's almost as if Nvidia went out of their way to make this videocard a huge hassle for a gamer who wants to enjoy its supposedly "King of the Benchmarks" rendering power. I feel like they came up with this GPU in a manner that it's almost like a revenge plot against ATI and they didn't have the gamer in mind.

For example, if I want this card, I have to find a case to fit, a PSU to power it, add fans to my case to push put the extra heated air and if I could, I would glue acoustic panels around my case to block out or absorb the added screeching noise of fans at full blast.

For $500, this thing could have been an external GPU housed in it's own box (like an external hard drive) with a dedicated PSU and like a PSU have two fans inside to cool. They could sell twice, three times more of these cards if it was just more convenient to use them without supersizing a case and PSU and then the heat and noise.

Why not have a daughter card plug into the PCI-E X 16 just to act as a connector and have like a DVI or IDE ribbon port than can connect to the "boxed" GPU?

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Fermi II should be a 15-20% more powerfull than current Fermi but a lot more power efficent;)
With PCIe 3.0 of course
And nice pricing

Power efficiency, rough power, pricing and better technology than the rival. Now when Nvidia puts that into Fermi II, i will be really happy!:)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

That's all, just 15% to 20% more jiuce? Usually you can get an extra 15% with a rev.B GPU and a factory overclock. The Fermi will cost over $500. If just spent $500 this month, I will not spend over $500 in 18 months for a 15% gain. Fermi buyers/gamers today are on tighter than usual budgets and they're making a major investment with their hardware dollars. Fermi owners today won't be in the high-end GPU market for a couple of years and if all they have is a 15% gain, then Fermi II will be the most expensive non-seller.

I wanted to start a discussion on how to make high-end GPUs cheaper and easier to own for gamers. I hope AMD is listening and learns that supersized Fermis aren't always a good thing.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

OK, then 35-40% more power,
lot more power efficient,
and very gooood pricing (GTX580 around 350-400$)

How about that?
:)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

I thought you'd like the catchy title. And please ask your sources in hardware development to leak out specs and carboard photos (I don't care if it's dome in crayon) as soon as possible, two years in advance if possible (groan).

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Cause the GTX480 somewhat ain't that what we've expeted to be

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Oooops my mistake. You're absolutely right.

Going by the pattern => GTX 200 series, then skipping GTX 300 and going straight to GTX 400's, the next generation should then be GTX 680 series.

It doesn't matter but what does matter is this behemoth is not a user-friendly videocard. In order to buy and use it, you practically have to remodel your home, create space, and build a garage to park thing thing. Metaphorically speaking of course.

TRENDING THREADS