Helltech

Distinguished
My 920 is at 37C idle, and when I run prime95 it goes up to 58C.

Is that too high, seems awefully high for stock settings?

i7-920
Zalman CNPS 9000
Antec Silver Thermal Paste

Solution

That's a "stop using your computer right now" load point. I'm surprised it got that high considering you didn't change the voltage and it's only a 20% overclock. I guess that's why intel binned it as a 720 instead of a higher model. Got good case cooling?
I don't own one myself, but that sounds normal to me. I've heard of people stock i7s maxing out between 60-70*C
Edit: That was with the stock HSF. So I guess your improvement makes sense. But wait for someone who owns an i7 to respond.
I can definitely tell you the temps are nowhere near dangerous.

That's a "stop using your computer right now" load point. I'm surprised it got that high considering you didn't change the voltage and it's only a 20% overclock. I guess that's why intel binned it as a 720 instead of a higher model. Got good case cooling?

Solution

oomie

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
those are very very good temps. why would u think theyre too hot? i7's run very hot. my 920 is OC'd and goes up to high 60's low 70's. im ok with this.

the only time my 920 went up to 100 degrees is when my heatsink was loose. scary stuff. dont go above 80. but up to 80 is normal.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yeah, I messed with the voltage a bit, brushed up more on my OC'ing... and now I have had Prime 95 running for 30 minutes and it hasn't went above 69C, but it idles at 49C, which is a little higher then I wanted.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I am writing this on my i920 system oc'd to 4ghz. Not quite idle as email, av and browser are open. Real Temps shows load under 2%. Temps= 39,35,40,36. Prime 95 after about 5 min (as an example just for this reply) with Large FFT 68,67,67,64. The room ambient is about 23(all temps are Celsius). I use a Noctua NH-d14 cooler with the fans set to slow speed (900 rpm). Hope this gives you some reference.