Installing memory in fx6801

fx6801user

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I have 2 new 2GB memory modules to install in the Gateway FX6801. If I install either one, it works. If I install both, the computer gives a nonstop tone when I start it and it doesn't start up.
As far as I can find out, it does not matter which of the 6 slots I put the memory in. Any suggestions.
I have removed all of the previous memory.

fx6801user

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks, I will get a third stick. I did manage to get the 2x2gb working by putting one in each of the 2 sets of three memory places. Seems like it wants a bank of three filled or 1 slot in each of the 2 banks of 3.

fx6801user

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Well, I have the third stick of memory now, but when I install all three matching 2 GB memory sticks into the same three slots that the original 3x1 GB memory was in, I get the continuous beep again when I try to start it up. I tested with just the new stick and it works, so I know all three sticks will work on their own.

I looked around in the bios settings to see if there was something there that might be limiting the memory in some way, but I didn't see anything that seemed to control the memory. Of course, I don't know what all the settings mean, they just didn't appear to relate to memory.

The machine is an FX6800-01e to be precise. I don't know if that is any different from the FX6801, but in case it helps someone recognize a problem, I thought I'd mention it.

The memory is from Crucial and is from their suggested list for this machine.

Suggestions?