Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4TB HDD support and OS installation Copy

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2012 2:53:44 AM

I have a 1 TB HDD that is nearly full.

I want to buy another set of Hard disk for storage.

I can't buy SSD because it is too expensive for very less space , I mean I can't even install all my OS, games and software on that much space.

I am thinking of doing a Raid 0 partition by purchasing two 2TB HDD.

My motherboard is this http://in.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TDV_EVOUSB...

Can I install 4TB on this motherboard.Will that support it.

Do I have to format all drives first that are to be put in RAID.

Can I copy all my data even with OS installation from my old 1 TB HDD to my new Raid Partition of 2-2TB HDD by using live linux and using dd command.

I don't want to install OS and all my games and software again on the new partition

Best solution

a c 318 G Storage
June 14, 2012 11:17:42 PM

RAID 0 with two 2Tb drive for your OS is not wise. If you can afford 2 2Tb drives, you can afford on 80-128Gb SSD and one 2Tb storage drive. Reconsider your options.

To build a RAID array from scratch you will lose all data on the drives when they are built. If you are going forward with that, it would be best to build the array, then install windows and your other programs/games -- it is unlikely that you can successfully clone as existing OS to a RAID array for booting. With a new install, most programs and games (other than STEAM) need a reinstall.
June 15, 2012 8:54:28 AM

RealBeast said:
RAID 0 with two 2Tb drive for your OS is not wise. If you can afford 2 2Tb drives, you can afford on 80-128Gb SSD and one 2Tb storage drive. Reconsider your options.

To build a RAID array from scratch you will lose all data on the drives when they are built. If you are going forward with that, it would be best to build the array, then install windows and your other programs/games -- it is unlikely that you can successfully clone as existing OS to a RAID array for booting. With a new install, most programs and games (other than STEAM) need a reinstall.

Thanks Realbeast for replying.

I have a question that if i buy a 128GB SSD then I have to install my both OS(Windows and Arch) + games on SSD itself to take advantage of speed but this amount of space won't be enough for these things to install. So, could you suggest what things people usually keep on SSD. Do games also need to be installed on SSD to take advantage of high disk access/move speed or is it the OS itself that one has to install on SSD.

And if i purchase as you suggested, then can I move my installation of OS from my previous harddrive to new SSD.
m
l
Related resources
a c 318 G Storage
June 15, 2012 2:06:00 PM

I have Win7 x64 (optimized with no hibernation, no restore and paging file on a HDD), all of my programs (Office, VMWare, SPSS, Photoshop, Premier, and many others), all of my current documents (about 8Gb mainly music), and a couple of my currently most used games -- mainly D3 right now. That takes up 78.6Gb.

While you *can* clone your OS, it is highly recommended that you do a clean install (with bios set to AHCI sata mode). Once you start using an SSD, you will never go back.

SSD prices have really come down with frequent sales lately, I bought a Crucial M4 256Gb for $169 two weeks ago, and saw a Samsung 830 128 Gb for $99 recently -- so definitely buy it on a sale and you may be able to afford a larger drive.

edit -- here is a site that monitors prices daily http://www.logicbuy.com/categorydeals/computers/hard-dr...
I also follow slickdeals.net
m
l
a c 318 G Storage
June 15, 2012 8:14:44 PM

Just saw that starting at midnight pacific time Newegg has the Crucial M4 256Gb on sale for $180 FS with promo code EMCYTZT1768

That is a great drive and great price if you can manage that much. It would alleviate any concern about running out of space.
m
l
June 16, 2012 4:57:14 AM

Best answer selected by stringsist.
m
l
!