CPU running too hot!?

Heynow76

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black edition and a Thermaltake SpinQ heatsink inside a Antec 1200 case. Basically I have been able to overclock my Processor to 4.0ghz and have it run idle at 35 celcius and between 40 and 48 degrees celcius consistantly while playing games like Crysis and Farcry 2. Lately it has been really hot where I live and since I dont have air conditioning it has been about 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit in my place and my processor runs idle at 50 degrees celcius and during games (even as simple as F.E.A.R.) it crashes almost immediately. Im assuming it is because of the room temp but I just want to get some input, plz help.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
40-48celcius is below the maximum temperature. First thing I'd do is set it back to stock clocks and run the games and monitor the temperaturues. Also what thermal paste did you use and what setttings did you use to reach 4ghz?

I agree with lowrider. Perhaps for the time being, it would be a good idea to at least throttle the OC down a bit until things cool off, especially if the CPU is getting really hot during a heavy load, i.e. gaming. I have the SpinQ on my Q9400 and while it is a decent cooler, it isn't the best. So if you want to keep the OC during these hot months, it may be worthwhile to look into a bit better CPU cooler if you can afford it. Another way to relieve some of the heat would be to lap the CPU, but it can be a dangerous task in regard static, etc...

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Why run it at 4 Ghz at all? 3.6 is sufficient for gaming and the tiny gain in framerates at 4 Ghz isn't worth the risk of frying your chip.

You could leave out the side panel and keep a desk fan blowing into the case and that should knock off about 5 to 8 C right away off the high temps.