PSU issue? Machine won't turn on

bgreeley

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey everyone,

My new build has been running fine for about 2-3 weeks now. I've been running with the sides off my case until this morning when I put them back on. All of a sudden, I get home from work and try to turn on my machine and I see some message about the machine shutting down in 15 seconds due to some problem. I keep turning my machine back on and the same message appears. I decide that maybe my PSU is overheating, so I turn off my PSU and give it some time to cool down (if you can follow my logic). I put the plug back into my PSU, flip the PSU power switch and now I get no juice to my motherboard. No LEDs are on. I tried to turn on my machine a number of times with no luck. I'm afraid my PSU might be dead.

Anyone have these issues before? Could any of my components be damaged?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Brandon

bgreeley

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Yeah, I went through the standard checklist and everything seems OK ... with the exception of a machine that won't turn on :)

My build is i7 860, stock heatsink, P7P55D-E Pro, EA650W PSU, ASUS 5770, Samsung 1TB F3, 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Do you think that PSU is too weak for my build? Could that cause my machine to overheat?

I don't really have anyone that has a PSU that I can test with.

No lights appear on my mobo when I turn on my PSU (normally there are a couple indicators, right?). I don't hear the PSU fan turn on either. Maybe it's dead? Could an overheating issue kill the PSU?

bgreeley

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I forgot to mention when the problem started, I was able to turn on my machine, but I got a message something to the effect of

"USB device over current status detected! The system will shutdown in 15 seconds."

... and it shutdown.

boosterfire

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009

Looking at Google real quick, it seems that the USB is related to Asus motherboards only. However, it does sound a lot like it could also be caused by the PSU failing to regulate current.

Anyway, definitely try to power the computer with another PSU!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
try and jump your psu..i had a big problem with mine and this is how I figured out what the problem was. Take a paper clip and unwind it. Take your psu out and put one end of the paper clip into the green wired slot on the 20/24 mobo connector. (theres only one green one) and the other into any black connector. You wont get fried dont worry haha. Turn on the power and see if it starts up. Thats the first thing you should do.

bgreeley

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
There ended up being an issue with the USB connection from my case to my mobo. I unplugged it and the problem went away. Most likely, the USB jack is busted on the case.