im looking to upgrade my cpu and was wounder what would be the best for gmaing

phenom X2 555 BE
phenom X4 955 BE
or phenom X3 720 BE

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Yep. I agree.

Or if you don't have the money, go for Athlon X3 445, or X4 630. But as said in the first post, it will also depend on the rest of your system specs, do you have a beast GPU, good mobo etc.

Yes like all, generally the 955 if you can afford. You would ensure yourself for games that DO use the 4 cores. Many games don't yet, but better safe than sorry. Also, if you ever multi-task or video encode/edit, the quad core will you much more of an improvement of the 555, not sure bout the 720 though

The only reason to get a dual core Phenom is if you are going to try unlocking extra cores other wise x3 & x4 Athlons are better for the money. The 720 will be as good as the 955 on alot of games but newer ones will benefit more and more from the 4 cores. If gaming is all you do its worth taking into account what graphics card you have, as if its an old 4650 or worse this could be the main bootleneck not the processor. If you have onboard graphics forget about the processor until you get a decent card. Unless you have a fairly good card a x3 Athlon may deliver close to optimum performance. In summary its all about balance let us know what graphics card you have and see what advice you get.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
phenom x4 with last the longest and will result in the fastest system

5770 plus phenom x4 core plus a good amount of ddr3 (4g+) and you should be able to run most any game out there on decent settings

now the x2 or x3 will work for now without hindering to much as most games are optimising to a max of 3 cores but the x4 gives you room for growth in the future

neil sheth

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

go for phenom X4 945 3.0GHz...good price too...

neil sheth

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
thank you for taking my reply into consideration,so i am buying phenom X4 945 3.0.....so what should i buy now?my config is ...

AMD PHENOM II X4 945 3.0GHz
ASUS M4A78-EM
DDR2 4GB transcend RAM
HDD SEAGATE 500GB x 2 SATA
LG DVD-W
GeFORCE 9800GT 1GB
Cabinet i-ball FAB9 [450 W]

is that all compatible and good? pls reply

You thread hijacker, you.
I'm just going to say, you should drop at least $50 from your CPU choice and put it into the GPU if you are gaming. And drop the seagates for samsung F3s or WD Blacks. I've also never heard of that PSU. You sure you want to power your system with and unknown and potentially cheap PSU?

Jordan, of course the most powerful cpu with the most cores would be the best, but it won't always show a difference from, say the x3 or x3 show a difference from the x2. It all depends what games you intend to play. Most games today can only use 3 cores. But in the future, this will change. We already have the multi-core BFBC2 and FSX. But I agree with everyone so far, the x4 955 C3 stepping is your best choice, if you can afford it. But if you can get the x3, that is also a good budget model, although often overpriced. The x3 Athlon II models are lacking the L3 cache but still perform really well.

Lol that's whut i thought

With a 5770? Probably not noticeably in most of those games. I hear Napoleon Total War might be more cpu intensive and take advantage? But I am unsure, someone correct me if I am wrong.

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

get a mobo that can support DDR3, and get DDR3 ram. It's not that much more if at all, and definitely a lot better.
And don't thread jack.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the better cpu will only help if your pc was cpu bottle necked but you'll probly get faster load times and yea better performance in total war as RTS are usually very cpu intensive, if you're planning on playing starcraft 2 it'll help as well.

wow or crysis with your system should both look decent with the 3 or 4 core

neil sheth

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
get a mobo that can support DDR3, and get DDR3 ram. It's not that much more if at all, and definitely a lot better.
And don't thread jack.

thank you for your suggestion.
i have already got my PC with mobo ASUS M4A785TD-V-EVO which supp DDR3 RAM upto 16GB...i assembled it 2nite itself before an hour of this reply!!!WORKING FINE!!!