loneninja

Distinguished
1090T will do the job, but it's got a horrible price/performance especially for games. The Phenom II X4 955 at half the price will match it's gaming performance, or the 1055T will still clock to 4.0Ghz if you plan on overclocking.

Than from Intel the I5 750 will provide better performance at $200

By all means if you got the cash go for the 1090T, but if you like the idea of saving some cash, you won't be sacrificing any fps going with some of the cheaper options.

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
IMHO, 1055t is sweet spot right now for price/performance... the 1090t is a bit pricey.

Of course, if you don't want to overlock, then phenom 955/965 is about right (because you really wont notice those extra two cores in most games, and the only other advantage the Thubans have over the Phenoms is higher O/C-ability)

needsumhelplol, your quite the opposite.... The more cores a CPU has, the less you can OC it. The reason why the 1090T isn't worth the pricing is because many games don't use 6 cores, they don't even use 4. SOME do if they are coded to, but its rare. Also, the Thuban series CAN'T OC as easy as the 955/965, more cores = less OC...
And like loneninja, If you went with that. I'd rather go with the 955, I'm using it now. I've gotten the 955 to a 4.0 easily but it runs really hot soo.... I just brought it back to 3.7, Make sure though if you end up not getting the 955, to get a good cooler. IE the Thermalright Venomous X or water cooling. Anywho, the 955 would also be a good choice because it saves nearly 150$ to the 300$ for the 1090T, and with that 150 you could get a better mobo or cpu cooler. :D

EDIT: Oh, and most 955/965, 1090T/1055T, or i7 line cpus won't bottleneck on the 5970

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Well after looking at the 1090T review, I can see that 6 cores would help in some places but can reduce FPS in some games by 5-10 frames, which quite frankly isn't worth paying more for.

EDIT: I think I'm gonna go with the Deneb as if has near same performance as the gulftown in all areas of review

loneninja

Distinguished

Thuban actually does over clock better than Deneb, it's also manufactured differently. AMD incorporated low-k metal or something(I know low-k is in the name) into Thuban to reduce leakage. It's why Thuban consumes no more power than Deneb despite having 50% more cores, and the reason it seems to run cooler.

TRENDING THREADS