Treo 650 question

Cingular sells the Treo 650.

However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
are locked now.

Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?

And if so, has anyone successfully unlocked one?

TIA

In article <gabley-5585E7.23241825032005@news.supernews.com>,
Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:

> Cingular sells the Treo 650.
>
> However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
> are locked now.
>
> Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?
>
> And if so, has anyone successfully unlocked one?
>
> TIA

you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence
*#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button.

> In article <gabley-5585E7.23241825032005@news.supernews.com>,
> Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:
>
>> Cingular sells the Treo 650.
>>
>> However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
>> are locked now.
>>
>> Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?

It's locked

> you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence
> *#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button.

I thought one needed a code (specific to the telephone being unlocked) from
Cingular.

Is a generic string like that sufficient to unlock?
--
Aloke
----

> In article <gabley-5585E7.23241825032005@news.supernews.com>,
> Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:
>
>> Cingular sells the Treo 650.
>>
>> However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
>> are locked now.
>>
>> Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?
>>
>> And if so, has anyone successfully unlocked one?
>>
>> TIA
>
> you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence
> *#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button.

From forum on Treocentral:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=79316

" This is not a subsidy unlock. It's called a PUK code and all it does is,
if I recall, undo the lock that occurs if you mis-enter the PIN too many
times. "
--
Aloke
----

Yazzan Gable wrote:
> Cingular sells the Treo 650.
>
> However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
> are locked now.
>
> Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?

I bought one a month ago and it's locked. I haven't tried to unlock it
but have no doubt that someone, somewhere, someplace has figured it out
and will do it for me (for a price, naturally) should I want it done.

"Unquestionably Confused" <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> Yazzan Gable wrote:
>> Cingular sells the Treo 650. However, I was in a company store today and
>> they said their world phones are locked now. Anyone here in usenetland
>> purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?
>
> I bought one a month ago and it's locked. I haven't tried to unlock it
> but have no doubt that someone, somewhere, someplace has figured it out
> and will do it for me (for a price, naturally) should I want it done.

I just want to relate my experience from last week as regards unlocking a
Cingular phone. I called and explained that I plan to travel to Europe and
needed to unlock my phone so I can use a temporary sim while there. The rep
tried to offer me other options to access messages while traveling, but I
politely said that I wanted to keep my options open. She said "no problem"
and an unlock code would be forwarded by e-mail in a few days. I got the
code as promised.

> In article <gabley-5585E7.23241825032005@news.supernews.com>,
> Yazzan Gable <gabley@titans.org> wrote:
>
>> Cingular sells the Treo 650.
>>
>> However, I was in a company store today and they said their world phones
>> are locked now.
>>
>> Anyone here in usenetland purchase a 650 recently? Is it locked?
>>
>> And if so, has anyone successfully unlocked one?
>>
>> TIA
>
> you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence
> *#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button.

BBBWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHAAAA!!!!

Now that's funny!

Sad.... but funny!

--